Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Plucky Constable Draws Truncheon I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Plucky Constable Draws Truncheon I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Plucky Constable Draws Truncheon I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Plucky Constable Draws Truncheon I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Plucky Constable Draws Truncheon I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Plucky Constable Draws Truncheon I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Plucky Constable Draws Truncheon I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Plucky Constable Draws Truncheon I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Plucky Constable Draws Truncheon I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Plucky Constable Draws Truncheon I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 16 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Plucky Constable Draws Truncheon

Go down

Plucky Constable Draws Truncheon Empty Plucky Constable Draws Truncheon

Post by Karen Mon 6 Dec 2010 - 21:01

PROTECTING A PICKPOCKET.

The City had two exciting spectacles yesterday - the hunt of a pickpocket by an angry crowd of about 100 persons down Farringdon-street and Farringdon-avenue, and the complete defeat of the mob by one constable, armed with a drawn truncheon. The hero of the latter conflict was Constable Watkins, 353 City.
The hunted culprit was a man of fairly respectable appearance, who entered a fried fish shop at Farringdon-street, and robbed three workgirls of their purses.
Outside the shop he was challenged, and gave up his plunder, and then made off in the direction of Ludgate-circus. He was pursued, caught, and knocked down, kicked and spat upon. He contrived to get away from those who were so violently maltreating him, and ran as swiftly as possible, pursued by a mob of roughs.
Constable Watkins, turning into Farringdon-avenue, met the fugitive and his pursuers, who were shouting, "Lynch him." The constable put the man against the wall, stood in front of him, and with drawn truncheon waited for the mob. The scene was a very angry one, and the policeman had the utmost difficulty in bringing the pickpocket safely into Farringdon-road. Help was soon at hand then, and the plucky constable took the exhausted man to St. Bartholomew's, where his wounds were dressed.
Then he was arrested on the charge of picking pockets.

Source: Daily Mail, London, Friday September 16, 1898, Page 3
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down