Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Raids On Gambling Clubs I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Raids On Gambling Clubs I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Raids On Gambling Clubs I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Raids On Gambling Clubs I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Raids On Gambling Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Raids On Gambling Clubs I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Raids On Gambling Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Raids On Gambling Clubs I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Raids On Gambling Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Raids On Gambling Clubs I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 17 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 17 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Raids On Gambling Clubs

Go down

Raids On Gambling Clubs Empty Raids On Gambling Clubs

Post by Karen Thu 20 Jan 2011 - 14:53

RAID ON A GAMBLING CLUB.

THE LONDON POLICE CONTINUE THEIR RAIDS ON GAMBLING CLUBS.
FORTY-TWO PRISONERS.

At the Thames Police-court, Geo. Woodley, an advertising agent, of 28, Sparsholt road, Crouch-hill; and William Linskey, 5, Hatfield-street, St. Luke's, were charged with keeping and using 65A. High-street, Whitechapel, known as the Tower Hamlets Club, for the purpose of betting; and forty persons of vicious callings were charged with using the above club for purposes of gambling.
Superintendent Arnold deposed: Armed with a warrant, I went about 3:30 yesterday, to 65A, High-street, Whitechapel. At the door I found Linskey. I told him I wanted the key of the door, which he at once produced, and admitted me. I proceeded upstairs and directed Linskey to knock at a door, which I found closed. The door was opened, and I and other officers entered. In the room were a number of men standing about, and others sitting at a table playing cards. Money was on the table. I directed Inspector Causby to seize the money and to take charge of the persons there. I then went into an inner room and saw Woodley sitting at a table making an entry in a book. I found the book contained entries of betting transactions at Pontefract and Brighton.
At this point, Mr. Lushington, having read the Act of Parliament on the subject, said the case appeared to be one for a summons, which would be issued at once and made returnable forthwith. The defendants were then told to stand down. Later in the day the case against Woodley and Linskey was again gone into, and Mr. Myers stated he was now instructed to defend Linskey. Superintendent Arnold repeated the evidence already given by him, and added, on taking possession of the book, he told Woodley they were police officers, and he and the others were to consider themselves in custody. He said to Woodley, "You, I presume, are in charge of the room?" He said, "Yes, I am responsible for the betting, and will take all responsibility on myself." Witness then directed that the name of each person should be taken, and forty-one persons were afterwards conveyed to the Leman-street police-station. The premises were searched. About 1,100 playing cards, rules relating to baccarat, and other documents were found. The police took possession of these. Witness took Woodley to Leman-street, and when there he handed him eight slips of paper relating to betting, and seven sheets of paper which had been taken from the book referred to, and which the defendant said related to the previous day's work. Woodley said, "I admit using this room for betting purposes. I pay a weekly rental, and have done so for the past three months." He afforded witness every facility, and gave direct answers to every question.
By Mr. Myers: Linskey, who offered no resistance, said he was the doorkeeper, and received 1 pound a week. He believed Woodley's character to be good. He had received direct complaints about this club.
Inspector W. Causby, H Division, corroborated, and stated that in the first room he saw four men playing cards. Money was on the table. He heard Woodley say he rented the room for betting purposes, from two o'clock until five o'clock in the afternoon, paying 2 pounds 10s. a week rent. There was a "tape" machine at work, and the "slips" were posted on a board in the room in which Woodley was sitting.
Mr. Myers, for Linskey, said his client was a very poor man, and he simply acted as a servant.
Woodley admitted the betting, but did not admit he kept the club. He had nothing to do with the card-playing.
Mr. Lushington said the case was a serious one. Woodley was fined 100 pounds and 2s. costs, or, in default, three months' hard labour. Linskey was fined 20 pounds, or one month's labour. The other charged were withdrawn. Linskey was allowed a fortnight in which to pay the money; but Mr. Lushington refused to give Woodley any time.

Source: Te Aroha News, Volume VII, Issue 408, 5 October 1889, Page 3
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Raids On Gambling Clubs Empty Re: Raids On Gambling Clubs

Post by Karen Fri 21 Jan 2011 - 19:54

AN EAST-END GAMBLING CLUB.

At the Thames Police Court on Wednesday, before Mr. Mead, Mr. Deakin, solicitor, made an application respecting the raid on an East-end gaming club on Friday last. He stated that on Saturday a number of men were charged with offences under the Gaming Act, and a man named Sugar, the principal, was remanded on bail, in two sureties of 30 pounds each. His application was that the amount of bail might be reduced, as it was quite impossible for his client to find such an amount. He had another important application to make in reference to the case. From enquiries he had made a very serious question would arise as to the legality of the warrant under which Superintendent Arnold entered the house. The proceedings were taken under section 3 of the Police Act, in which it was stated that two or more householders must take oath, in writing, before a magistrate, as to the place, before the Commissioner of Police could issue his warrant. Mr. Arnold had told him that no such report had been made.
Mr. Mead observed that it was very kind of Mr. Arnold, as it might enable his (Mr. Deakin's) client to bring an action against him. He could not say that the man was improperly in custody.
Mr. Deakin thought if the Commissioner had no power to issue the warrant, the superintendent had no power to raid.
Superintendent Arnold opposed the application for reducing bail.
Mr. Mead said that the police were in a panic in consequence of Mr. Deakin's statement, and asked that the man should be allowed out on his own recognisances, he might grant the request, but as they opposed the application he could not accede to it.
Mr. Deakin felt sure Superintendent Arnold was far too shrewd a man to be frightened by what he had stated, but he should feel it his duty to press the point when the men were again brought up.
It was decided that the application should be renewed later in the day, when Mr. Wontner, who prosecuted for the police, would be present.
On the application being renewed, Mr. Mead refused to reduce the amount of bail.

Source: The Mercury, Saturday August 8, 1891, Page 5
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Sat 22 Jan 2011 - 6:31

CLUB RAID IN WHITECHAPEL.

Police Arrest Twenty-Seven Persons.

Late last night the police made a raid upon an alleged gaming club at 255, Whitechapel-road. The place is apparently a Jewish restaurant and coffee-house, but for the last six months it is asserted by the police to have been conducted on the lines of a gaming club. The authorities go so far as to say so notorious has this become that many and frequent complaints have been made of the character of the premises. The proprietors (according to the police) seem to have made no secret of the object of the institution, which comprised a large number of members, principally Polish Jews and other foreigners engaged in the cigar trade of the district.
Things reached such an acute stage that it was determined to make a raid last night, and for that purpose Superintendent Arnold proceeded to the club, accompanied by Inspector Flannigan, Detective-inspector Reid, and Sergeant Thick, in charge of a large body of officers. There were twelve or thirteen detectives, and thirty or forty police-constables in uniform. When plans had been matured, Superintendent Arnold and his advance force managed to reach the house without raising suspicion, and the officers in uniform quickly surrounded the premises, and all the persons found there were conveyed to the Leman-street police-station in custody, including the proprietors, who will be charged at the Thames Police-court this morning with keeping a gambling house, and the others will have to answer for using the premises for gaming purposes. Among the captives is "Patsy" Griffiths, a well-known fighting man of the neighbourhood, and "Big Boy," better known as "Butcher's Block," and the doorkeeper. The men were mostly well-dressed, and their removal to the police-station created great excitement in Whitechapel. Money and cards were found on the tables of the club - situated on the top floor - and these and all other signs of offence were taken charge of by the police. A large crowd followed the prisoners to the lock-up, and Leman-street was in a turmoil for several hours afterwards.

PRISONERS AT THE POLICE-COURT.

At the Thames Police-court, today, Lewis Sugar, a dining-room keeper, of 255, Whitechapel-road, and Freedman Levy, a brushmaker, of 7, Dempsey-street, Stepney, were charged with keeping and using 255, Whitechapel-road, for the purpose of common gaming; and Lamert Isaacs, 20, John Hart, 36, Henry Harris, 28, Benjamin Bitten, 26, Marks Spear, 23, Morris Herman, 23, Henry Swarts, 23, William Cohen, 18, Morris Nathan, 22, Henry Parish, 21, Julian Fishman, 26, Job Broday, 33, Solomon Myers, 27, Philip Abrahams, 30, Ormuel Cohen, 26, Jacob Samuels, 20, David Goldberg, 22, Joe Cohen, 20, Solomon Levy, 20, Patrick Griffiths, 29, Solomon Sugar, 34, Abraham Firman, 39, Barnett Lipman, 25, John Silver, 25, and Joseph Carey, 35, were charged with using the house for the purpose of gaming.
Mr. Deakin, solicitor, appeared for the defendant Lewis Sugar.

Source: The Echo, Saturday August 1, 1891, Page 3
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Sat 22 Jan 2011 - 6:56

RAID ON A GAMBLING HOUSE.

At WORSHIP-STREET today Goishon Hirschfield, of 4, Boar's Head-yard, Whitechapel, and Mina Hirschfield, his wife, were charged before Mr. Bushby with keeping the house for the purposes of gambling. Sixteen men, named Fisher, Berlinski, Groossman, Jacobs, Alexander, Green, Silberger, A. Jacobs, son of the other prisoner of that name, J. Colmen and B. Coheen, Poyser, Lubinski, Levi, Richards, Muskovitz, and Goldberg, were also put into the dock charged with being found in the said house for the purpose of gaming.
Mr. B.J. Abbott appeared for Hirschfield, and Mr. Barnard for two of the other prisoners.
Superintendent Arnold, H Division, deposed that, acting under a warrant issued by the Chief Commissioner of Police for the Metropolis, he, at one o'clock yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, went with Inspectors Abberline and Older, Sergeant Foster, and a number of constables, to Boar's Head-yard, Whitechapel, and surrounded the house. He tried to enter, but the door was fastened. An officer in plain clothes knocked, and after a moment or two the door was opened by the male prisoner, Hirschfield. Witness at once went in, and Hirschfield was taken into custody. Witness, with the other officers, went upstairs to a room on the first floor and forced their way in. He saw eleven men sitting at two tables, on which were piles of money and cards. There was an immediate rush, some making for the door, others for the window, and some scrambling for the money on the tables. When quiet had been somewhat obtained, and the men told they were all in custody, the room was searched. Large quantities of playing cards were found in the table drawers, 125 were also picked up from the floor, and 32 were found in the room below. In all over eighteen packs of cards were found. Witness saw John Fisher, Harris Berlinski, Henry Groossman, Henry Jacobs, Samuel Alexander, A. Jacobs, the two Coheens, Alfred Poyser, David Maskovitz, and Goldberg among the prisoners in the room. They were at the tables.
Superintendent Arnold here asked that the prisoner Goldberg might be discharged, and made a witness. After hearing the evidence of Detectives Foster and Newman, Mr. Bushby consented to this course, and Goldberg was put into the witness-box. He deposed that he had been in the habit of going to the house and playing cards; that the house was used as a gambling place. The witness had lost in three weeks there no less than 25 pounds. The place was principally used on the Sundays, but witness had been there every day in the week. After some further evidence Mr. Bushby fined Hirschfield 50 pounds, discharging his wife. The other prisoners were fined 5 pounds each. Some of the fines were paid, but the majority of the prisoners were locked up.

Source: The Echo, Monday August 26, 1878, Page 3
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Sat 22 Jan 2011 - 7:17

RAID ON AN EAST-END CLUB.

DEFENDANTS AT THE POLICE-COURT.

At the Thames Police-court, today, Charles Lazarus, a refreshment-house keeper, of 61, Mansell-street, Whitechapel; Caal Cohen, a tailor, of 4, Sion-street; Nathan Lampson, a traveller, of 104, Coborn-road, Bow; and Michael Cohen, an upholsterer, of 46, Arbour-square, were charged with keeping and conducting 61, Mansell-street, as a common gaming-house; and Isaac Emanuel, Henry Lee, John Levy, Belinski Harris, Joshua Davis, Phillip Mansbaum, John Lazarus, Lorris Crook, Abraham Cohen, Nathan Etgart, Piza Cohen, Godfrey Schaafwol, Samuel Green, Joseph Goldsmith, David Mansbaum, Edward Tiller, Joseph Winkle, Alfred Simmons, Thomas Williams, and Louis Franks were charged with using the same. Mr. St. John Wontner prosecuted on behalf of the Commissioners of Police; Mr. Muir, barrister, appeared for Lazarus and Lampson; and Mr. George Hay Young appeared for Michael Cohen.
Mr. Wontner, in opening the case, said the defendants were charged, under an order signed by the Commissioner of Police, for keeping a gaming-house at the Clarendon Hall, Mansell-street. Although the place had been under the observation of the police for some time, it was felt that nothing could be done until last night, when Superintendent Arnold said at about a quarter to 10 he, with other officers, went to the premises. The bell was rung, and Lazarus opened the door. He was secured, and witness passed along a long passage into a large room. At once there was a general rush, some making for the door. Caal Cohen was sitting on a chair, and Lampson and Michael Cohen were near the table, which was covered with green baize. Inspector Pattenden went to the table and took possession of it. He afterwards showed witness a cloth and a small packet of cards. The door was secured, and Lazarus was brought into the room, where he admitted that he was the occupier. The raid was made, and all the defendants were taken into custody. Apparently there was time to remove the money from the table, because only half-a-sovereign was found there; but on the defendants a considerable amount was found. He charged Lazarus under the 4th section 16 and 17 Victoria, and the other first three defendants would be charged with taking part in the management of the business. Before leaving the house he said to Lazarus, "We must have the baccarat slide, and must search the whole house until we find it." Lazarus said he did not know where it was. They went into the kitchen, where Mrs. Lazarus handed him the baccarat slide and three packs of cards. Mr. Mead remanded all the defendants.

Source: The Echo, Monday October 26, 1891, Page 3
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 11:40

The following incident took place at 17 Goulston Street in 1874, and one of the men implicated was named Myer Levy Potecas of 14 Dorset Street. That would have been one door away from Mary Jane's room.

WORSHIP-STREET.

GREAT RAID ON A BETTING-HOUSE. - Daniel Gallard, of 17, Goulston-street, Spitalfields; Henry Hannan, of Clement's-place, Pentonville; Woolf Cohen, of 4, Cox's-square; Samuel Black, of 30, Tenter-street, Spitalfields; Henry Hart, of Wilmot's lodging house, Thrawl-street; Isaac Green, of Castigny-place, St. Luke's; Henry Heynemann, of Goulston-street; James Mendoza, 10, Wellclose-square; Jacob Franks, Bell-lane; Louis Duits, 4, Bell-lane; Myer Levy Potecas, 14, Dorset-street; and Michael Nathan, of 2, Umberston-street, Bethnal-green, was charged with Gallard with keeping a place for the purposes of gaming, and with permitting gaming to be carried on there; and the other prisoners with being found in the house while gaming was being carried on.
Superintendent Thomas Arnold said: I produce a warrant granted me by the Commissioner of Police of the metropolis, by virtue of which I entered the house 17, Goulston-street, Spitalfields. I was with Inspector Abberline and several constables. The street door was open, and we proceeded to the second-floor. It was locked, and after knocking and receiving no answer, we forced the door open. We found the whole of the prisoners there and on the table were playing cards, and 2d. in bronze.
Mr. Hannay - Only 2d.?
Witness - That was all, sir. There was a scuffle directly we entered and the money was swept off. I asked Gallard if he was the owner of the room. He said yes: I told him why I was there. We searched the place. I found 138 playing cards in a drawer. On Gallard I found 12s. 6d. in silver and coppers, and two keys. One key he handed me as opening a drawer in an adjoining room in his occupation. I there found 839 playing cards and some dominoes. Under the bed I found 12s. 6d. In the drawer I found 30s. in gold, and some bronze money. Gallard's wife entered the room, and she gave to me 109 more playing cards. The prisoners were searched, and on Nathan was found 5 pounds, 0s. 10d., on Mendoza 4d., on Potecas, 2s. 9d. in silver and 8-1/2d. in bronze, on Green 10d., on Black 6d. The other prisoners had nothing on them. Gallard at the station on having the charge read over to him said that they did not gamble but only assembled there for a game. Nathan said he did not gamble, but only looked on. The other prisoners did not say anything.
Davis Hymans said that he was a tailor, living in Harrow-alley. He went to the house on Friday week, and saw playing for money going on. He saw Gallard receive one penny for each game played. Each game took about five minutes to play.
The prisoner Natham wished to ask the witness Hymans a question which, he said, would show what character he was. He said his brother kept a gambling house where he lived, and because it was shut up he was jealous of prisoner Gallard. The prisoners generally addressed the magistrates pleading that they were not gambling.
Mr. Hannay said he thought the case quite clear. He fined Gallard 5 pounds or six weeks' imprisonment. The other prisoners he ordered to pay fines of 20s. each, or to suffer 14 days' imprisonment. The prisoners were led out to the cells.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper, November 22, 1874, Page 12
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down