Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Samuel Fiddymont  I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Samuel Fiddymont  I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Samuel Fiddymont  I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Samuel Fiddymont  I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Samuel Fiddymont  I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Samuel Fiddymont  I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Samuel Fiddymont  I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Samuel Fiddymont  I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Samuel Fiddymont  I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Samuel Fiddymont  I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Samuel Fiddymont

Go down

Samuel Fiddymont  Empty Samuel Fiddymont

Post by Karen Wed 18 May 2011 - 8:50

WANDSWORTH.
ALLEGED ATTEMPTED FRAUD.

William Smith, a hairdresser, and Thomas Ward, a traveller, were charged with attempting to obtain 10 pounds from Mrs. Mary Ann Eddison, of the Nag's Head, York-road, Battersea, by false pretences.
David Nathan, manager to Mr. Henry James Eddison, the landlord, deposed that on Friday morning the prisoners entered and spoke to Mrs. Eddison, who called him. He went round the bar to the prisoners, and Smith said he had come direct from Mr. Fiddymont, of the Prince Albert, Brushfield-street, Spitalfields, to see the governor. He told him that Mr. Eddison was not in. He replied, "What a pity! I have a good thing for him." He produced an envelope bearing Mr. Fiddymont's address, and said he had sent him for 10 pounds to put on Pythagoras, 5 pounds each way. The prisoner also said, "Can't you do it for him as he is not here?" Witness replied, "Decidedly not." He then asked him if he had any money of his own to put on the horse, saying, "If you have got any money it is sure to win." Tell all of your pals to do the same." Witness then laughed, but he declined to give them any money. He treated the prisoners, supposing that they had come a long distance.
Mr. Samuel Fiddymont was called, and said he was acquainted with Mr. Eddison, but the prisoners were strangers to him until Thursday night, when he saw them in his house. He did not give Smith any authority to apply to Mr. Eddison for 10 pounds. Smith said that he would call and see him again, and asked for a card. Not having a card he gave him the envelope.
In cross-examination the witness said he mentioned the name of the horse, and remarked that it was very likely to win a race. He did not tell him to convey that information to Mr. Eddison.
Police-constable Adams proved arresting the prisoner, who made no reply to the charge.
Mr. Haynes said the prisoner Smith was in business in Battersea-square, where he had been four years.
Mr. Paget committed the prisoners for trial, and allowed bail.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper, November 6, 1887, Page 3
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down