Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Lena Allbrook, Singer I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Lena Allbrook, Singer I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Lena Allbrook, Singer I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Lena Allbrook, Singer I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Lena Allbrook, Singer I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Lena Allbrook, Singer I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Lena Allbrook, Singer I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Lena Allbrook, Singer I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Lena Allbrook, Singer I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Lena Allbrook, Singer I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Lena Allbrook, Singer

Go down

Lena Allbrook, Singer Empty Lena Allbrook, Singer

Post by Karen Thu 19 May 2011 - 6:53

Although I could not find a Lizzie Allbrook in the newspapers of the time, I did find a Lena Allbrook, another singer. This was taken from The Mercury which primarily covered the areas of Hackney and Shoreditch.

RECTORY ROAD CHURCH.

The people of this church had their harvest festival services on Sunday and Monday. The decorations were of a most tasteful character, the chief feature being festoons of flowers and foliage, suspended from the front of the choir gallery on a background of crimson cloth. This produced a light and elegant effect and there was also the usual bank of fruit and vegetables in front of the pulpit, which was afterwards given to the poor. The pastor, the Rev. C. Fleming Williams, preached on Sunday, his subjects being "A coronation" and "Fruits and flowers." In the morning the choir sang "O give thanks" and in the evening "Great is the Lord," solo by Mrs. Leslie King and "The heavens are telling." A musical service was given in the afternoon, when the following programme was gone through: Anthem, "O Lord, how manifold"; solo, "But the Lord is mindful," Miss Emily F. Bodel; solo, "Then shall the righteous shine," Mr. J. Rosslyn Howell; solo, "Toil and rest," Miss Maud Weeks; anthem, "O give thanks"; solo, "O Lord, have mercy," Mr. J.F. Pritchard; solo, "Eye hath not seen," Mrs. L. King; solo, "The sailor's grave," Mr. J. Rosslyn Howell; solo, "Lord, whom my inmost soul adoreth," Miss N. Drew; anthem, "I will sing of thy power."
Music was also the order of the proceedings on Monday evening. Miss Bodel displayed a fine voice in her rendering of "Crossing the bar," and was deservedly encored, her return song being "Listen to the children's voices." "I waited for the Lord," sung by Mrs. Kloss, was not a success. This beautiful composition should not be taken as a solo, and in any case it should be sung in time.
The other items were solo, "O, what is man?" Mr. E. Goudge; solo, "The children of the city," Miss Lena Allbrook; solo, "It is enough," Mr. Morgan Wilkinson; violin solo, "Romance in G" (by desire), Mr. Alfred Williams; solo, "The harbour bay," Miss Maud Weeks; anthem, "I will sing of Thy Favour", solo, "The king of love my shepherd is," Mr. Morgan Wilkinson; solo, "The way of peace," Mrs. Leslie King; violin solo, "Chopin's nocturne in E flat," Mr. Alfred Williams; solo, "The city of night," Miss Nellie Drew; recit., "In splendour bright," chorus, "The heavens are telling."
Mr. Kloss presided at the organ.

Source: The Mercury, Saturday October 10, 1896, Page 3
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum