Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Theft of Personal Property I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Theft of Personal Property I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Theft of Personal Property I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Theft of Personal Property I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Theft of Personal Property I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Theft of Personal Property I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Theft of Personal Property I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Theft of Personal Property I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Theft of Personal Property I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Theft of Personal Property I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Theft of Personal Property

Go down

Theft of Personal Property Empty Theft of Personal Property

Post by Karen Sun 22 May 2011 - 15:57

SOUTHWARK.

PAWNBROKER'S CENSURED.

Elizabeth Tanner, 45, described as a charwoman, was charged with stealing blankets, sheets, and a large quantity of ladies' underclothing, the property of Mr. Walter George Seamman, ladies' outfitter, 85, Newington-causeway. The prosecutor said he had employed the prisoner for the last two years as charwoman, and until lately he had the greatest confidence as to her honesty. Latterly, however, she had taken to drink, and a week ago he missed some articles of clothing from the warehouse, and as the prisoner was leaving they were found on her, and he gave her into custody. Pawnbrokers' duplicates were found on her relating to property (produced), worth upwards of 10 pounds. The manager of Mr. Matthews, pawnbroker, Newington-butts, produced nineteen parcels, containing blankets, sheets marked with the prosector's name, and underclothing pledged by the prisoner from November last and to the beginning of the present month for 2 pounds 19s. 6d.
Mr. Partridge strongly condemned the conduct of pawnbrokers receiving such property from a woman of the prisoner's description, especially as some of the articles were marked with the owner's name. Witness said the prisoner was asked if the goods were her property, and on her replying in the affirmative they were accepted. Several other pawnbrokers produced ladies' underclothing, a jacket, and bundles of linen, all of which Mr. Seamman identified as his property, and he valued it at upwards of 10 pounds. The prisoner pleaded "Guilty" to stealing the goods, and begged for mercy, as she had intended to redeem them and replace them, but for circumstances that unfortunately occurred in her family. She had been the chief supporter of an aged father, who died a short time ago and whom she had to bury. She had also supported a sick mother, and had sickness in her family. Mr. Partridge considered that there had been great carelessness on the part of the pawnbrokers, who, had they acted with common caution, would have checked the prisoner in her career. He sentenced the prisoner to three months' hard labour.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper, August 24, 1879, Page 4
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down