Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Kate McCarthy I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Kate McCarthy I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Kate McCarthy I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Kate McCarthy I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Kate McCarthy I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Kate McCarthy I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Kate McCarthy I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Kate McCarthy I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Kate McCarthy I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Kate McCarthy I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Kate McCarthy

Go down

Kate McCarthy Empty Kate McCarthy

Post by Karen Tue 31 May 2011 - 14:12

Kate McCarthy, living at 42, Royal Mint-street was a witness at the inquest of Frances Coles, and although she was only born in 1873, there was another Kate McCarthy living in Royal Mint-street in 1859. This could be her mother or aunt, who was only 14 years of age at the time.

POLICE INTELLIGENCE. - FEB. 14.
SOUTHWARK.

THE ROBBERY OF MEERSCHAUM PIPES ON BOARD A HAMBURG STEAMER.

John Francis Hutton, the second-mate of the John Bull steamship, trading between the port of London and Hamburg, was brought before Mr. Burcham, charged with breaking open a case on board that vessel, and stealing thirty-five valuable meerschaum pipes, the property of Messrs. Woolf and Co., merchants, of Sambrook-court, Basinghall-street, and Vienna.
It may be recollected, on the 17th of December last, a case of valuable meerschaum pipes were brought from Hamburg by the John Bull, consigned to Messrs. Woolf and Co. It was delivered on the following day, when thirty-five of the pipes were missed. Information was given to the police, and about the middle of the last month Hughes, a detective officer of the M Division, discovered one of the pipes put up for raffle at a public house in Bermondsey by a young woman named Hinds, a Customs waterman's daughter, and her father having been employed on board a lighter alongside the John Bull on the 17th of December, he was taken into custody, and remanded on bail until Saturday next. Since then a tobacconist named McCarthy, of Tower Hill, has been charged with being concerned in the robbery, and remanded also, he having disposed of the pipes to a man named Simmons, who sold them to Mr. Simmons, a tobacconist, of No. 62, Piccadilly. The mystery manner in which the robbery was committed has caused a considerable deal of excitement among the employees in her Majesty's Customs, and the police have been exceedingly active in their endeavours to bring the guilty parties to justice.
Hughes, a detective officer of the M division, said that in consequence of information he received, he went on board the John Bull steamer that morning, and on seeing the prisoner he told him that he was charged with stealing thirty pipes from a case on board that vessel in December last, and that he had sold them to a man named McCarthy, who was in custody. He replied that he knew nothing of the pipes or that man. Witness then took him in charge.
Kate McCarthy, a young girl about fourteen years of age, said she lived with her parents at No. 112, Royal Mint-street, Tower-hill, City. Her father, who carried on business as a wholesale tobacconist was at present in prison under remand, charged with being concerned in stealing the meerschaum pipes. Witness knew the prisoner as having frequently called on her father and selling him goods. In the latter part of December last she saw the prisoner in her father's shop, and he then pulled several meerschaum pipes in cases out of his pockets and offered them for sale. Some were larger than others, and were exactly like those produced by the constable.
Mr. Burcham asked her whether she saw any money passed?
She replied that she did not, but the pipes were left by the prisoner.
Mr. Burcham asked her how it was that she never mentioned these circumstances before, as the matter had been in the hands of the police some time?
Witness said she did not think of it until the officers spoke to her about the pipes after her father was locked up.
The prisoner here declared that it was all false, and the charge was trumped up against him to ruin him. He knew nothing about the pipes or McCarthy.
Kate McCarthy said that she was positive that the prisoner was the man who sold the pipes to her father. He was in company of Jones, a sailor, also employed on board the John Bull.
Mr. Burcham remanded the prisoner until Saturday next on which day the other prisoners will undergo further examination.

BENEVOLENCE.

Mr. Burcham received 20s. in postage stamps for the poor-box from O.A.M., which the donor requested might be acknowledged in the newspapers.

Source: The Evening Star, Tuesday February 15, 1859, Page 4
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down