Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Fell to his Death I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Fell to his Death I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Fell to his Death I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Fell to his Death I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Fell to his Death I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Fell to his Death I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Fell to his Death I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Fell to his Death I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Fell to his Death I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Fell to his Death I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Fell to his Death

Go down

Fell to his Death Empty Fell to his Death

Post by Karen Mon 25 Jul 2011 - 19:58

FATAL FALL FROM A LOOPHOLE.

Yesterday, at St. Bartholomew's hospital, Mr. Langham held an inquiry concerning the death of Alfred Martin Williams, 35, cabinet-maker, of 15, Smith-street, Clerkenwell, who died from injuries sustained through falling from a loophole at the establishment of Messrs. Murdock and Co., Farringdon-road. George Crawling, an employee of the firm, said he knew the deceased as frequently coming to the warehouse, though he was not in the employ of Messrs. Murdock. On the morning of Monday witness was in the basement of the establishment, engaged in stacking cases that were being lowered from the warehouse above through a loophole. Suddenly the deceased fell through the aperture a distance of 11ft. 5in., and his head struck with great violence upon the ground. When witness went to his aid he was quite insensible, and believing he was badly injured, he placed him in a van and had him conveyed to the hospital. Thomas Wells, a boy, said he accompanied the deceased to the warehouse of Messrs. Murdock to get some goods. They waited about the warehouse for some time, when deceased left to ascertain the cause of the delay, leaving witness in the warehouse. One of the doors of the warehouse was only a short distance from the loophole, which was partly open, to allow of the cases being lowered, and deceased suddenly made his appearance at the door and called to witness. Deceased apparently did not see the aperture, for he stepped to the loophole and fell through. Mr. Nash, the manager of the establishment, said every precaution was taken to prevent accidents, but the deceased had no right at the time to be in the warehouse. Mr. Spicer, house surgeon, deposed that deceased died on Wednesday from fracture of the base of the skull and other injuries, and the jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death," at the same time expressing an opinion that proper means should have been taken to avert accidents of the kind.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper, February 15, 1885, Page 12
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down