Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Sad Burning Case I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Sad Burning Case I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Sad Burning Case I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Sad Burning Case I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Sad Burning Case I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Sad Burning Case I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Sad Burning Case I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Sad Burning Case I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Sad Burning Case I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Sad Burning Case I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 16 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Sad Burning Case

Go down

Sad Burning Case Empty Sad Burning Case

Post by Karen Sat 30 Jul 2011 - 1:35

SAD BURNING CASE.

Mr. Wynne Baxter held an inquiry yesterday at the London hospital respecting the death of Rachel Marks, aged 30, a single woman, lately living at 54, Hague-street, Bethnal-green-road, whose death resulted from burns. Edward Bagley, an engineer, 119, Great Cambridge-street, Hackney-road, stated that he was engaged to the deceased. On Tuesday he had made arrangements to meet her at her sister's house, but he was late, and she had left when he arrived. He followed her home. At 9:30 they were sitting opposite each other near the fireplace. She asked her to come and sit on his knee. She got up, and in crossing in front of the fire her dress caught on the grate, and she screamed out, "Oh, I'm alight." He took her in his arms to put the blaze out, but his hands were burnt, and he had to desist. He then ran to the door for assistance, and deceased followed and passed into the street, her clothes being at the time in one mass of flames. Two policemen came and took her to the hospital. By the Coroner: When the deceased caught fire she was in the act of moving her dress improver, so as to sit down on his knee. Witness had had some drink, but was not at all intoxicated. Police-constable John Roche, 47 J, deposed that on Thursday night he heard screams coming from Hague-street, and on going there saw the deceased running about the street with her clothes in flames. With the assistance of another constable the flames were put out, and the woman was removed to the hospital. Mr. George Ernest Haslip, house surgeon at the above hospital, deposed that deceased was admitted suffering from severe burns extending over the greater part of the body. Death resulted from exhaustion consequent on the injuries. The coroner remarked that it could not be too well understood that in case of fire air should never be admitted, as in so doing the flames were fanned and fed. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death."

Source: Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper, February 19, 1888, Page 12
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down