Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Tumblety's Friend, Jack I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Tumblety's Friend, Jack I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Tumblety's Friend, Jack I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Tumblety's Friend, Jack I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Tumblety's Friend, Jack I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Tumblety's Friend, Jack I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Tumblety's Friend, Jack I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Tumblety's Friend, Jack I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Tumblety's Friend, Jack I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Tumblety's Friend, Jack I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Tumblety's Friend, Jack

Go down

Tumblety's Friend, Jack Empty Tumblety's Friend, Jack

Post by Karen Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 2:46

"Jack the Ripper."
Is He Tumblety's Man Friday?

It has been known for some days past that the detectives have been quietly tracing the career in this city of Dr. Francis Tumblety, one of the suspects under surveillance by the English authorities, and who was recently followed across the ocean by Scotland Yard's men.
From information which leaked out yesterday around police headquarters, the inquiries presented here are not so much in reference to Tumblety himself as to a companion who attracted almost as much attention as the doctor, both on account of oddity of character and the shadow-like persistence with which he followed his employer.
The investigation in this city is understood to be under the direction of English officials now in New York, and based upon certain information they have forwarded by mail.
One of the officers whom current reports connects with this local investigation is James Jackson, the well-known private detective. When seen last evening at his home, on John street, Mr. Jackson was not disposed to talk about the matter, but after some urging consented to tell his personal experience with the doctor.
"It was back in the spring of 1870," he said, "when I first met Tumblety in Pittsburg. He was a tall, handsome man, excessively dignified and polite, with a military bearing. We met on the street, and after a few words he invited me to have a cigar at the Monongahela House. It was a cold, snowy evening, and, smoking our cigars, we walked down to his office. In the meantime he had introduced himself by showing a heavy gold medal which purported to have been presented to him by the citizens of Salt Lake, Utah, for some service. The doctor carried a gold-headed cane, so heavy that it would tire your hand. Arrived at the office, he insisted on examining my physical condition and freely gave his advice as to a line of habits which would in a few years make me a perfect specimen of manhood. I frequently called on the doctor and we became great friends. He always had on tap at his office a barrel of ale, and we used to sit and drink until both of us were feeling somewhat jolly."
"Did he at that time have a companion called Jack?"
"What's that?" said the detective.
The question was repeated.
"Well, yes," replied the detective in a hesitating, suspicious tone, "I believe he did. But why do you ask?"
On being frankly told by the reporter of the rumors in circulation respecting the inquiries of English officials. Detective Jackson responded that it might be so, but, with a smile, added, that he could not say.
"To tell you the truth," the detective continued, "he did have such a companion, or rather bodyguard. The shadow was with him wherever he went, and was known only by the name of Jack. His last name I never heard spoken. This Jack was a tall, giantlike fellow, whose head somewhat bent over. His face was as white as a ghost's. And his keen blue eyes had a snaky appearance. Jack wore long hair and a very small moustache. I understand he came from Texas, where he was a cowboy or something of the kind. He rarely spoke, and hardly made any noise when he walked. In fact he had a sneaking movement about him that I did not like. Usually he wore a velvet suit, and was a man who, from dress and general appearance, would attract attention anywhere. There were reports in Pittsburg which went to explain the colorless appearance of the shadow's features, but of their truth I cannot say. Anyhow, the doctor was not thought very highly of. Jack looked like a man that was insane and desperate - a man who would do anything. In 1875 I was at Aurora, Ind., and, boarding a train, found the doctor and Jack occupying seats. Both recognized me at once, and I had a long talk with Tumblety. I understand that Jack accompanied the doctor when he went abroad."
"Is there any possibility that Tumblety's Jack and Jack the Ripper might be some way connected in the recent mysterious murders of London?"
"Well, I have heard suspicions that they might be one and the same," remarked the detective guardedly, "but I don't care to talk about it for certain reasons. I may say, however, that the suspicion is very strong in my mind, and if the inquiries were rightly pushed they might lead to startling developments. I can't say any more to you at present."
The officials at police headquarters declined to talk about the matter or to answer any questions bearing on this supposed discovery of "Jack the Ripper's" identity. - Cincinnati Enquirer, Dec. 14.

Source: The Daily Picayune, New Orleans, Monday December 17, 1888, Page 3
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down