Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Sir Charles's Successes and Failures I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Sir Charles's Successes and Failures I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Sir Charles's Successes and Failures I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Sir Charles's Successes and Failures I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Sir Charles's Successes and Failures I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Sir Charles's Successes and Failures I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Sir Charles's Successes and Failures I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Sir Charles's Successes and Failures I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Sir Charles's Successes and Failures I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Sir Charles's Successes and Failures I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 12 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Sir Charles's Successes and Failures

Go down

Sir Charles's Successes and Failures Empty Sir Charles's Successes and Failures

Post by Karen Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 5:50

LIFE IN WHITECHAPEL.

Will not the editor of the Pall-Mall Gazette come to the defense of the Whitechapel street-walkers? Plainly, Scotland Yard is unequal to finding the mysterious murderer. In the United States we have learned that reporters are the best detectives. The Gazette is the most enterprising paper in Europe, and one of Mr. Stead's commissioners might succeed where the runners and plain-clothes men have failed utterly.
The most conspicuous failure of the lot is their chief, Sir Charles Warren. When he succeeded Sir E. Henderson a few years ago, the Londoners thought he was just the man to suppress the cockney rough, because he had slaughtered a good many more or less clothes savages in his time. Sir Charles conducted a series of explorations in Palestine, arranged the Orange Free State boundary, settled the land question Grequaland West, and was commander of the Gequa and Bechuanaland campaigns in 1878. In 1882 he went to Egypt to restore the authority of Khedive in the desert and punish the murderers of Prof. Hamer. He commanded the Bechuanaland expedition which added a territory as large as Spain to the British Empire in Central South Africa. He ran for Sheffield in the Liberal interest in the election before the last, was defeated, and went to Suakim to take command of the forces in that district. He was there only two months before being sent to his present command.
Sir Charles is in more danger of deposition now than is his master, the Home Secretary. Mr. Henry Matthews overrode the odium of the Regent-street case, in which a moral principle was involved, and he is not so closely connected with the protection of life in the metropolis as is the Commissioner of Police.
It is the more remarkable that the murderer has not been taken because a consensus of newspaper opinion sets "him" down as a maniac. Perhaps that pronoun is wrong, for the Toronto Globe has convinced itself that the assassin is a woman. We are inclined to think, however, that this slayer and mutilator is a mad man bent on revenging himself on the class of beings which has destroyed him, mentally and physically. It may be that all surmises are far from right.

Source: The Buffalo Express, Wednesday Morning, October 8, 1888, Page 4
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum