Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
The Molly Maguires I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
The Molly Maguires I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
The Molly Maguires I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
The Molly Maguires I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
The Molly Maguires I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
The Molly Maguires I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
The Molly Maguires I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
The Molly Maguires I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
The Molly Maguires I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
The Molly Maguires I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

The Molly Maguires

Go down

The Molly Maguires Empty The Molly Maguires

Post by Karen Mon 29 Apr 2013 - 6:14

WHAT ARE "MOLLY MAGUIRES"?

Considerable doubt seems to exist in the minds of many people as to the real meaning of the expression "Molly Maguires." In the first place, it might be stated that the term is not one of recent origin, for in a book of Americanisms published as long ago as 1877 a description of "Molly Maguires" is given. The name (assumed from Molly, a familiar form of Mary, and Maguire, a common Irish surname) was adopted by the members of secret organisations, in allusion to the woman's dress they wore as a disguise.
The most notorious of these organisations was that which existed years ago in Pennsylvania, when the "Molly Maguires" of the coal regions, composed almost entirely of Irishmen, kept up the forms and practices of the secret societies of the Old Country. They combined against mine-owners and overseers as they had combined against landlords and agents, and from their combination came assassinations. In committing the murders the society took the course common in Ireland, and had it done by persons unknown in the section where the victims lived, and returns of courtesies were arranged by which murders were exchanged. The also pursued the same course in regard to terrorism of witnesses and to subornation of perjury, and consequently for a long time made trials a farce.
Murders were committed and great quantities of coal and other property destroyed by incendiarism. In 1875 the "Molly Maguires" terrorised over the whole country, threatened entire towns, and compelled the ordering out of the militia. On the withdrawal of the troops a series of the most cruel murders was committed, until at length, by strategy, ten of the members of the society were arrested for the crime. Notwithstanding the efforts made by the members, who appeared to swear to an alibi, all were convicted of murder, and, on June 20, 1877, executed.

Source: The Auckland Star, Saturday June 22, 1912, Page 17
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down