Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Master Israel Schwartz I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Master Israel Schwartz I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Master Israel Schwartz I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Master Israel Schwartz I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Master Israel Schwartz I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Master Israel Schwartz I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Master Israel Schwartz I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Master Israel Schwartz I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Master Israel Schwartz I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Master Israel Schwartz I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 20 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 20 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Master Israel Schwartz

Go down

Master Israel Schwartz Empty Master Israel Schwartz

Post by Karen Wed 11 Mar 2020 - 9:25

Here is an interesting article on a Master Israel Schwartz:

ABUSE OF SEASON TICKETS.

Some strong remarks were made at the London Guildhall, when summonses for irregular railway travelling were heard against Dora Schwartz and her husband, Nathan Schwartz, a city furrier, living at Maidenhead; and Dora Roneau and her daughter, Fanning, of Reading.
For the prosecution, counsel said that in consequence of air raid scares, thousands of aliens had left London for places some little way out. In a large number of cases they had taken family season tickets at reduced prices. Unfortunately the railway companies had found that there were instances where season tickets were not only used by other members of the owner's family, but were also lent to friends.
In the case of Mrs. Schwartz, she and two female friends travelled up to Aldgate, using Mr. Schwartz's ticket and that of Master Israel Schwartz. The two tickets were taken from her, and she had to purchase tickets to travel with. In the other case the daughter travelled with the mother's ticket.
The Alderman inflicted the maximum penalty and applications for the return of the tickets were refused.

Source: Yorkshire Evening Post, Friday 12 April, 1918
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Master Israel Schwartz Empty Re: Master Israel Schwartz

Post by Karen Wed 11 Mar 2020 - 10:09

MAIDENSHEAD SEASON TICKET FRAUD.
INADEQUATE FINE ON A SCHWARTZ FAMILY.

MAGISTRATE'S REGRET.

Dora Schwartz, of "The Brahon" Ray Park-avenue, Maidenhead, was summoned today at the Guildhall for attempting to defraud the Metropolitan Railway by travelling with her husband's season ticket, and Nathan Schwartz, a City furrier, was summoned for aiding and abetting her.
Mr. E. Rawlings, prosecuting, said that in consequence of air raid scares, thousands of aliens had left London and had taken family season tickets at a reduction to places in the country.
The Schwartz family had three seasons between Aldgate and Maidenhead, one for Mr. Schwartz, another for Master Israel Schwartz, and a third for Miss Bloomer Schwartz.
On March 2 Mrs. Schwartz and two females passed the barrier at Aldgate Station and presented the three tickets. The collector noticed that one was marked "Master Schwartz," and the other tickets were scrutinised, and it was seen that Mrs. Schwartz was using her husband's ticket. The two tickets were retained by the company and Mrs. Schwartz had to buy two single tickets.
Mr. Rawlings asked for an exemplary fine for this class of fraud, which is very prevalent at the present time by this class of people, who lent their tickets to not only members of their own family, but their friends.
Sir Louis Newton regretted that the maximum penalty was only 40s. It was totally inadequate for such swindling. They would be fined 40s. and 23s. 6d. costs each, in all 6 pounds 7s.
Schwartz: Can I have the seasons back?
The Alderman: No, the company will forfeit those.

Source: Globe, Thursday 11 April, 1918
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Wed 11 Mar 2020 - 10:33

SEASON TICKET FRAUDS.
STRONG MAGISTERIAL COMMENTS.

Interesting revelations as to the use of season tickets by East-End refugees from air raids were forthcoming at the Guildhall, when Dora Schwartz of "The Brahon," Ray Park-ave., Maidenhead, was summoned for attempting to defraud the Met. Rly. by travelling with her husband's season ticket, and Nathan Schwartz, a City furrier, was summoned for aiding and abetting her. - Mr. E. Rawlings, prosecuting, said that in consequence of air raid scares, thousands of aliens had left London and had taken family season tickets at a reduction to places in the country. The Schwartz family had 3 seasons between Aldgate and Maidenhead, one for Mr. Schwartz, another for Master Israel Schwartz, and a third for Miss Bloomer Schwartz.

Source: The People, Sunday 14 April, 1918
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down