Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Popular Orator I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Popular Orator I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Popular Orator I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Popular Orator I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Popular Orator I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Popular Orator I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Popular Orator I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Popular Orator I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Popular Orator I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Popular Orator I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Popular Orator

Go down

Popular Orator Empty Popular Orator

Post by Karen Sat 5 Jun 2010 - 3:31

Mixed Tidings.

The newspapers are keeping themselves busy in discussing the ten worker demonstration in Amsterdam. Many of the details are reported below and that the chief or rather the orator for the workmen is a certain Van der Hout, whose life we will describe. Isaac Salomon van der Hout, who is now looking well at the proletarians, in 1863 he was gifted by the then mayor of Amsterdam, Messchert van Vollenhoven, with an orange ribbon with the words, "popular orator" because he was so patriotic and sincere, and the mayor made the address on the occasion of the celebration, in commemoration of the events of 1813. In what was not yet the fully completed People's Palace said the same of Van der Hout. The symbol of his patriotism turned the workers of the factory in Flushing and van Heel, and all breathed enthusiasm for Orange and for the Fatherland. Van der Hout, however, seems not to have learned a craft, his patriotism was probably of little material benefit and he was looking for something else to name it. After having toiled as a laborer and a caller in a fairground, and his oratorical skills seem to have developed suddenly. He joined in 1871 as a leader at the International Congress of Laborers in Amsterdam. As he screamed louder than the Ghent Charles Boos (whose misappropriation of funds was shortly afterwards published in the newspapers) on capital and labor, on the rights and duties, about oppression and violence. But then in one of Amsterdam's Israelite weeklies, the behavior of Van der Hout was strongly criticized and it cried to him that he was ashamed and he had felt some of his old beliefs welling the ex-patriot again. He wrote in a submitted piece that he was not serious and that he never again would be. Soon, however, Van der Hout again changed his mind either, because now he is a member of the Federal International Council and leader of ten in Amsterdam. Whether the gift of Mr. Messchert he has still preserved? - In about a few weeks, it will have been two centuries ago that Jan van der Heyden conducted his first test with the serpent fire engines, remembering that we are in a time of processions and celebrations of life, the ideas conceived in these days are inventions to celebrate. The fire masters and other heads of firefighters called its intentions in this regard in a meeting. - In the last week was some D.B. from Willige Langerak, who was busy pruning trees, when he had the misfortune to fall from a ladder, with his back and neck landing on a metal bench just below. In a few moments was grievously injured one corpse. He was a sweet family man, whose death has left his three young children parentless. - The Deventer on August 29 reported: Tonight a lorry driver from the Goor Australian Fair returned to the city with a 15-year-old boy, who sat on some cases in the back, he fell off and the truck's wheels ran over his head. The unfortunate boy was dead on the spot.

Source: Goessche Courant, 03/09/1872, Page 2
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum