Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Most Honest Scotland Yard Detective I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Most Honest Scotland Yard Detective I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Most Honest Scotland Yard Detective I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Most Honest Scotland Yard Detective I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Most Honest Scotland Yard Detective I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Most Honest Scotland Yard Detective I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Most Honest Scotland Yard Detective I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Most Honest Scotland Yard Detective I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Most Honest Scotland Yard Detective I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Most Honest Scotland Yard Detective I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Most Honest Scotland Yard Detective

Go down

Most Honest Scotland Yard Detective Empty Most Honest Scotland Yard Detective

Post by Karen Sun 28 Feb 2010 - 16:51

JACK THE RIPPER.

ALLEGED TO HAVE BEEN FOUND.

A well-known Scotland Yard detective discussing in the "Sunday Chronicle" the many murders whose perpetrators are never traced, says: - "It is easy to suspect a man. Frequently it is not difficult to suspect the right man. But unless there is an unbroken chain of circumstances connecting the suspected person with the actual crime it is both useless and harmful to make an arrest. Perhaps the most terrible crime during the last decade which was not followed by a conviction was the killing and mutilating of a number of unfortunate women in Whitechapel. Day after day these murders occurred. Failure again? Yes; but listen to this. We found our man. He was engaged in a large way of business in the City of London, was married, had a family, and was generally respected. For some time he had been known as eccentric, and various escapades had caused his friends a good deal of anxiety. Frequently, as we learned later, he stayed out all night about the time when all these outrages were committed. His description agreed with that of a man seen in Dorset street, Whitechapel, on the night when Mary Jane Kelly was cut to pieces, and at that time he was near to actual arrest by a policeman. His family knew of the circumstances, knew that he was not only a madman, but a man possessed of considerable surgical knowledge, and with their full consent and the knowledge of the police he was put away in an asylum. Since that man's removal there has not been another such crime in London, though we had another undetected criminal in the same neighbourhood five years ago, Mrs. Austin being murdered and mutilated in Dorset street. The crime was somewhat similar, but it is absurd to suggest, as it has been suggested, that it was the work of the madman of the "Ripper" crimes. Mrs. Austin's body was mutilated, but by no means in the same skilful way."

Source: Nelson Evening Mail, Volume XLI, Issue 3, 4 January 1906, Page 1
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down