Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth

Go down

The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth Empty The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth

Post by Guest Mon 18 Nov 2013 - 14:41

Casebook has an old dissertation done by Melvin Harris called the Maybrick Hoax; A Guide Through the Labyrinth:

http://www.casebook.org/dissertations/maybrick_diary/mhguide.html

I consider him one of the best theorists out there. He fails as a document examiner though, and he had his own suspect theory to flog, so it's time to re-examine his findings. Many people, over the years, have explained away any and all the questions about the diary content that he detailed in his dissertation. They have shown that the "fatal flaws" he found were not fatal or flaws.

1. "Tin match box empty"

This line from the Diary has been parroted for years as being evidence that a hoaxer copied the police inventory of Catherine Eddowes possessions. In fact, it is a line from a famous poem by American humorist Josh Billings, who was second only to Mark Twain.

[url=http://books.google.ca/books?id=pkM1AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=josh+billings+match+box+empty&source=bl&ots=ZuiW6Fu8-v&sig=lvqxIHAYQoxh7o9VnKagaPueBbo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vWqKUvmhFajf2QW33oGYCw&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=josh billings match box]http://books.google.ca/books?id=pkM1AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=josh+billings+match+box+empty&source=bl&ots=ZuiW6Fu8-v&sig=lvqxIHAYQoxh7o9VnKagaPueBbo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vWqKUvmhFajf2QW33oGYCw&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=josh%20billings%20match%20box%20empty&f=false[/url]

Last edited by Buono on Wed 20 Nov 2013 - 16:59; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth Empty Re: The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth

Post by Guest Tue 19 Nov 2013 - 19:24

The Poste-House

The expression 'going to the post office or post house" has meant "going to the bar" since civil war times.
Melvin Harris

in 1888, when Jim Maybrick was supposed to be writing up his ripping intentions, the Poste House went under a name that was much more down-to-earth. It was known the length and breadth of Liverpool as The Old MM - the Muck Midden.
... Certainly, the place was known as The Muck Midden in December 1887 when the pub was the subject of a lengthy article in the weekly magazine Liverpool Citizen. So why, ..does he write of taking refreshment in the Poste House?
At some stage in the pub's history, the rather unsavoury Muck Midden tag was dropped. Certainly since the early l96Os, the place has been known as the Poste House... But I was a regular there myself in the early 1970s, and remember meeting old timers in the bar who still used its earlier Victorian sobriquet. The Poste House as a name was still comparatively new.
Tavern-Wikipedia

Mail stop and post office
Many were also the local post office and or the polling place. The United States Postal Service had its origins in the private taverns and coffeehouses of America.[7]
A depiction of Civil War troops reading their mail at the Eagle Tavern which doubled as the post office in Silver Spring, Maryland can be seen at the Silver Spring Library.

Back to top Go down

The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth Empty Re: The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth

Post by Guest Sat 23 Nov 2013 - 13:24

All the other 'questionable' aspects of the Diary pointed out by Melvin Harris are matters of interpretation.

The handwriting
Lack of new information
Dramatic style
Two farthings
Mistake(s) about placement of body parts
Provenance
The motive given in the diary

You can look at these issues any way you want. 

For example, why would you expect a Ripper diary to have new information in the most analyzed murders in history, especially after 1988?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 6 Feb 2015 - 5:40

Actually, the ripper diary does have new information in it, but, like everything to do with the diary, they carry on ignoring it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 7 Feb 2015 - 13:32

Some of the 'new' information:

He committed an earlier murder and a later one in Manchester.
He returned to perform more mutilations on Annie Chapman.
He was almost caught by Abberline.
There were clues in the form of initials here and there at the Mary Kelly crime scene

Some lore considered myth by experts confirmed as true by the Diary:

There were rings and the farthings left at the Chapman scene.
The Goulston Street Graffiti was left by him.
The original Ripper letters and some of the others were written by him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28

YThe second "Manchester Murder" was in all likelihood the murder of Rose Mylett in London.

[th]Rose Mylett[/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th]
Catherine Millett, Lizzie Davis, Drunken Lizzie, Fair Alice Downey y Rose Mylett The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth 10px-Blue_pencil.svg
Lizzie Davis
The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth 20px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg United Kingdom
December 20, 1888
The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth 20px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg WhitechapelLondres
Homicide The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth 10px-Blue_pencil.svg
british
meretrix
Rose Milet , whose last name has also been written as Mylett [ 1 ] and who was also known by the alias "Lizzie Davis", was a prostitute who expired on December 20, 1888, at the age of 30.

https://second.wiki/wiki/rose_mylett

Last edited by Doeologist on Wed 22 Dec 2021 - 15:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bad wiki format)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down