Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Fenian Demonstration in Hyde Park I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Fenian Demonstration in Hyde Park I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Fenian Demonstration in Hyde Park I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Fenian Demonstration in Hyde Park I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Fenian Demonstration in Hyde Park I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Fenian Demonstration in Hyde Park I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Fenian Demonstration in Hyde Park I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Fenian Demonstration in Hyde Park I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Fenian Demonstration in Hyde Park I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Fenian Demonstration in Hyde Park I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Fenian Demonstration in Hyde Park

Go down

Fenian Demonstration in Hyde Park Empty Fenian Demonstration in Hyde Park

Post by Karen Thu 2 Jun 2011 - 23:43

THE FENIAN DEMONSTRATION IN HYDE PARK.

Superintendent Williamson, accompanied by a gentleman from the Board of Works, has applied to Mr. Newton at Marlborough Street, on November 4, for summonses against the speakers at the Fenian meeting in Hyde Park on Sunday last, for acting in contravention of the Parks Regulation Act. Mr. Newton said he saw by the papers that morning that the Act of Parliament was not a valid Act, therefore the addresses delivered by the speakers were lawful addresses. He should like to have the matter properly argued before him before granting the application. Whether it was an Act of Parliament or not, the magistrates were being placed in a somewhat ludicrous position. Mr. Knox had informed him that according to the law officers of the Crown the Act was a valid Act, but in the papers of that morning the contrary was stated. The gentleman from the Board of Works said he might state that the opinion of the law officers of the Crown was taken, and they were clearly of opinion that the Act could be enforced. Mr. Newton said the magistrates at that court had, under the Act, been asked to send four persons to prison for selling pictures, medals, and such things in the Park, and yet a fair had been permitted by the police to be held there without interference. He should order the summonses to issue.

Source: The Week's News, November 9, 1872, Page 1419
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down