Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Care of the City's Poor I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Care of the City's Poor I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Care of the City's Poor I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Care of the City's Poor I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Care of the City's Poor I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Care of the City's Poor I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Care of the City's Poor I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Care of the City's Poor I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Care of the City's Poor I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Care of the City's Poor I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Care of the City's Poor

Go down

Care of the City's Poor Empty Care of the City's Poor

Post by Karen Tue 26 Jul 2011 - 0:09

CARE OF THE CITY'S POOR.
THE AMALGAMATION SCHEME.

SUCCESSFUL WORK AT HOMERTON.
BIG SAVING TO THE RATEPAYERS.

The Guardians of the Poor of the City of London claimed the attention of a large and representative company of citizens on Saturday afternoon, when a very interesting ceremony took place at Homerton to mark the completion of one of the largest works undertaken by the Board in recent years, viz., the building of the new Infirmary and the adaptation of the Workhouse buildings to meet modern requirements, this work being the outcome of the wise policy adopted by the Guardians of closing the Bow Infirmary, and concentrating their Poor Law administration on the admirable site in the Borough of Hackney.
The Chairman of the Amalgamation Committee, Mr. John B. Wild, C.C., directed the proceedings with his usual courtesy, with the able assistance of his Vice-Chairman, Mr. H. Key; the Chairman of the Board, Rev. T. Grear; and the Vice-Chairman, Mr. A. Monckton, C.C., together with the following Guardians and Members of the Committee: -

Mr. W. Bates, Mr. C.J. Benson, Mr. H. Weber Brown, B.A., Mr. H.V. Clements, Mr. W. Mann Cross, C.C., Mr. J. Huey, Mr. John H. Lile, C.C., J.P., D.L., Mr. C.E. Scholes, Mr. H. Taylor Taylor, Mr. J. Westerby, C.C. (Deputy Chairman of the Board), Mr. E. Ardley, C.C., Mr. W. Baldock, Rev. P. Clementi-Smith, C.C., Mr. J.S. Crowther, Rev. G. Bell Doughty, Mr. J. Tollworthy, C.C., Mr. H.V. Game, Mr. W. Pomteous King, C.C., Rev. J.F. Marr, Mr. J. Pick, Mr. A.M. Reveley, Mr. M.L. Saunders, Mr. G.P. Wagstaff, Mr. E.R. Woodward (the clerk to the Board), Mr. Albert E. Pridmore, P.P.S.A., F.S.I., F.Z.S. (the architect of the buildings), and the builder, Mr. Albert Monk.

Most of these gentlemen were accompanied by their ladies, and there were also present: -

Mr. Deputy M. Wallace, Mr. and Mrs. E.V. Huxtable, Mr. E.S. Morris, Miss Partridge, Mrs. W.S. Martin, Mrs. Powell, Mrs. Wilson, Rev. Dacre and Mrs. Craven, Miss Grear, Mrs. Bain, Miss Brickman, Miss Blatherwick, Miss Skelton, Mr. and Mrs. Bye, Mr. and Miss Tuck, Mr. and Miss Stacey, Mr. Nullis, Mr. and Mrs. E.J. Carter, Mr. C.T.W. Drake (Master and Steward), Miss Stewart (Matron of the Infirmary), Mr. C.A. Hodgkinson, Mrs. Austin, Dr. C. Read, Dr. F. Gordon Brown, Dr. H.J. Sequira, Mr. T. Bates (Chairman of the Hackney Board of Guardians), and Miss Bates, Mr. F.R. Coles (clerk to the Hackney Guardians), and others.

Source: The Shoreditch Observer, Hackney Express, Bethnal Green Chronicle and Finsbury Gazette, October 2, 1909, Page 5
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down