Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Police Constable Henry Lamb I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Police Constable Henry Lamb I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Police Constable Henry Lamb I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Police Constable Henry Lamb I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Police Constable Henry Lamb I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Police Constable Henry Lamb I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Police Constable Henry Lamb I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Police Constable Henry Lamb I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Police Constable Henry Lamb I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Police Constable Henry Lamb I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 18 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 18 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Police Constable Henry Lamb

Go down

Police Constable Henry Lamb Empty Police Constable Henry Lamb

Post by Karen Sun 20 May 2012 - 12:47

WOOLWICH.

MURDEROUS ATTACK ON THE POLICE.

Henry Robinson, of 87, Earl-street, Plumstead, and Alfred Charles Willis, of 47, Bartle-road, Plumstead, were charged with assaulting Police-constable Lamb, 452R, and Police-constable Sayers, 520R, in the execution of their duty. The following were summoned for assaulting Lamb: - Mary Ann Coppin, of 4, Hull-place; Amelia Brown, of 98, Tewson-road; George Weeks, of 6, Hull-place; John Conner, 17, Liftler-road; and Frederick Millcar, 202, High-street, all of Plumstead. - Police-constable Lamb said that on April 5 he was called to eject Coppin and Willis from the Volunteer beerhouse, Plumstead village, when Willis struck him a violent blow in the face; a number of people, amongst whom were the defendants, interfered, and he was struck and kicked so violently that he was laid up for 15 days. He was knocked down by the prisoners, defendants, and others ten or twelve times. - Police-constable Sayers, who appeared to be very weak, ill, and lame, said he went to Lamb's assistance, and was greeted by Willis calling out, "Here comes another peeler," following it up by kicking witness four times, and completely disabling him. Willis had wrenched Lamb's whistle away; but witness, having recovered it, blew it, but with no effect. He appealed for help to the bystanders, but they were afraid to interfere. Witness became exhausted from the injuries he sustained, and leaned up against a fence until a cart came up and took him to the police-station. - Dr. Haynes, police surgeon, said that Lamb was laid up for 15 days, and it would be another six weeks before Sayers would be fit to resume duty. Both must have been subjected to great violence. - Mr. Marsham said this was a very serious assault on the police, and sentenced Willis to five months', Robinson to three months', Weeks to two months', and Brown to 21 days' hard labour. As to Millear, he was not satisfied that he took an active part in the assault, and the summons against him would be dismissed. Coppin did not surrender, it being stated that she was too ill to attend; but Mr. Marsham gave instructions that she should appear to the summons as soon as she was able, or a warrant would be issued.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper, May 7, 1893, Page 10
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Police Constable Henry Lamb Empty Re: Police Constable Henry Lamb

Post by Karen Sun 20 May 2012 - 13:32

"HAD TAKEN SOME OF EACH."

"What have you taken?" yesterday inquired Constable Lamb of a middle-aged woman - Mary Cotton by name - residing at 6, Green-hill-grove, Little Ilford. The constable had been called to the house because the woman "had taken something." She pointed in reply to three bottles on the mantelpiece, one containing laudanum, another soap liniment, and the third turpentine, and then remarked that she had drunk some of each. She added that the soap liniment and the turpentine were to be used as an embrocation. An emetic was administered, and the woman was consequently able to appear at the West Ham Police-court today on a charge of having attempted to commit suicide. She was then remanded to the House of Detention.

Source: The Echo, Tuesday April 24, 1888, Page 4
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Sun 20 May 2012 - 15:29

BURGLARS IN CLAPHAM.

Three men and a boy were arrested in Clapham-road, on Saturday, for burglary under singular circumstances. During the afternoon, Constable Lamb, 133 W, noticed a lad entering the coach-house gate attached to the dwelling house 287, Clapham-road. He followed the lad, who, on his attempting to give an alarm was quickly silenced and taken to the police station. Lamb got another constable to accompany him back to the premises, and this time went to the rear of the building, and, climbing over the wall, got into the garden, from which he saw three men in the kitchen passage in their shirt sleeves. Calling out to his companion, Police-constable 345 W, who was at the other side of the wall, to come one, he rushed upon the men, one of whom, a powerful fellow about 50 years of age, attacked him with a bar 4ft. long, but before he could inflict any injury Lamb seized him and knocked the bar from his hands. The other two men, seeing the second constable rushing towards the passage, burst open the front door, but one of them was caught and handcuffed by the constable, who promptly followed in their rear. Lamb pluckily held both prisoners in the gateway while the other constable started after the third man, whom he succeeded in capturing with the assistance of a gentleman. The three prisoners were then marched off to the police-station, where they were safely lodged. On examining the house it was found that 3cwt. of sheet lead and lead piping was ready at the front door for removal, besides a number of other articles. It was found that the gas and water piping, the stoves, fire grates, ranges, gasaliers, brackets, &c., in this house, as well as the one adjoining, had all been removed, and damage to the extent of at least 100 pounds effected. Evidently the property was loosened and packed during the past few days, and removed at night. The prisoners' names are George Williams, 51, labourer, James Pumlau, 40, labourer, Mark Drew, 38, labourer, and Charles Osborne, 15, stable boy.

Source: The Echo, Monday February 3, 1890, Page 3
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum