Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Well Known Surgeon Suspected I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Well Known Surgeon Suspected I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Well Known Surgeon Suspected I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Well Known Surgeon Suspected I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Well Known Surgeon Suspected I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Well Known Surgeon Suspected I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Well Known Surgeon Suspected I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Well Known Surgeon Suspected I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Well Known Surgeon Suspected I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Well Known Surgeon Suspected I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Well Known Surgeon Suspected

Go down

Well Known Surgeon Suspected Empty Well Known Surgeon Suspected

Post by Karen Tue 2 Mar 2010 - 8:46

The following newspaper reports are a very exciting find for me, as the first one reports that the idea of Jack the Ripper being a well-known surgeon was formed as early as 1889 and the second article reports that another physician who spent some time in London after the last Whitechapel murder confirmed the Dr. Howard report, in which Howard names a well-known physician as having been Jack the Ripper.

LONDON'S MURDER MYSTERY.

A Rumor That A Well-Known and Eccentric Surgeon Is Suspected.

LONDON, Sept. 12. - The inquest yesterday in the case of the woman whose headless body was discovered in the Whitechapel district Tuesday morning was conducted with closed doors, and extraordinary precautions were taken to prevent the medical testimony in the case being made public. The rumor is afloat, but cannot be traced to an authoritative source, that one of the doctors has pointed out that the surgical work of the fiend who committed the murder bears a remarkable resemblance in certain features to peculiarities which have frequently been noted by the professsion in the work of a well-known London surgeon, a man of the highest standing in his profession, but exceedingly eccentric. The police maintain a discreet silence, and refuse to either deny or to verify the rumor. They appear to be active, however, and their conduct indicates that they have a clue of some sort.

Source: The Quincy Daily Whig, September 13, 1889, Page 5

THE "RIPPER" STORY TRUE.

A Kansas Physician Who Studied in London Confirms the Howard Report.

LEAVENWORTH, Kas., May 1. - Dr. D. Russell Phillips, a leading young physician of this city, who spent some years in Europe studying after his graduation from a New York medical college, was much interested in the San Francisco story as to the identity of "Jack the Ripper." Monday he confirmed the story as told by Dr. Howard. He said that he was in London just after the last Whitechapel murder, taking a special course, and it was then common gossip among the medical students that "Jack the Ripper" had been found to be a West End physician and the wretch had been incarcerated in an asylum under an assumed name. The fact that the story was never made public in London or America, he holds, showed that the murderous doctor was a man of influence.

Source: The Quincy Daily Journal, May 1, 1895, Page 4
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down