Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Improper Methods Used by Waxworks I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Improper Methods Used by Waxworks I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Improper Methods Used by Waxworks I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Improper Methods Used by Waxworks I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Improper Methods Used by Waxworks I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Improper Methods Used by Waxworks I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Improper Methods Used by Waxworks I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Improper Methods Used by Waxworks I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Improper Methods Used by Waxworks I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Improper Methods Used by Waxworks I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Improper Methods Used by Waxworks

2 posters

Go down

Improper Methods Used by Waxworks Empty Improper Methods Used by Waxworks

Post by Karen Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 14:24

The magistrates at Newport police-court were occupied for some time on Monday in considering a case in which David Adams, the proprietor of a waxwork and model exhibition which is on view in High-street, was summoned for keeping a room for public music without a license.
P.S. Dukelow stated that on the 13th inst. he heard a French piano playing in the shop, and people were constantly stopping to listen to the music. In answer to Mr. Lyndon Moore, who appeared for the defendant, the officer said it was a show in which "Jack the Ripper and his Seven Victims"
were to be seen. Mr. Moore asked if "Jack the Ripper" was there why the officer did not arrest him. This query, which was received with laughter, was not answered. Mr. Moore, for the defence, contended that as the show was the primary object that induced the visitors to go in the magistrates
could not convict, and he quoted a case in which it was decided by the Court of Queen's Bench that if the music was only a subsidiary part of the entertainment no license was necessary. The Bench decided to dismiss the case on the ground that the music was only a subsidiary part of the show.
- Thos. Smith, who is in the employ of the defendant in the last case, was summoned for causing an obstruction in High-street. P.C. Dukelow stated that the defendant caused a crowd to collect by calling out that "Jack the Ripper" and his victims might be seen inside. The bench decided that an obstruction
had been caused, and a fine of 10s. was ordered to be paid. The Mayor thought that cries similar to those used by the defendant to attract visitors to his show were most improper.

Source: Cardiff Times, 27 July 1889, Page 5
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Improper Methods Used by Waxworks Empty Re: Improper Methods Used by Waxworks

Post by Mr Hyde Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 22:44

I'd wager my reputation that David Adams is a music lover and quite knowledgeable about Jack the Ripper.

Seven victims is a bit of a worry though and thoroughly deserverves a 10 shilling fine.

Merry Xmas to all!

Mr Hyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Hyde Sun 6 Dec 2015 - 23:13

Crikey!

Another year almost gone.

Merry Xmas!

Mr Hyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Thu 5 Mar 2020 - 14:50