Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market

Go down

PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market Empty PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market

Post by Karen Wed 3 Mar 2010 - 17:13

Monty just recently left a comment on my blog in regards to PC George Henry Hutt securing employment at the Smithfield Meat Market in the City of London proper, but just this past week, I found out that PC George Henry Hutt had found employment at the Metropolitan Meat Market. I have found a sketch of the Metropolitan Meat Market, and here it is:

[img]PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market Mmm20210[/img]
The Metropolitan Meat Market, 1872-1878 (By Unknown)
The Metropolitan Markets where PC George Henry Hutt worked after the Ripper case.

The Smithfield Meat Market and the Metropolitan Meat Markets were two different meat markets in two different locations as explained in the following newspaper extracts:

Metropolitan Meat Market

FARM PRODUCE is now selling a little better than was the case a month ago. Wheat is in better request, and fetches about 1s. more money; and fine barley for sowing has been actively inquired after at a good price. Oats remain extremely cheap, but beans and peas have followed the two leading staples, and have picked up slightly in value. Fowls - an important branch of modern farming - are now yielding well, and the big towns present an almost unlimited demand for new-laid eggs at a moderate price. The business in milk and butter has been a little better than formerly. At the Metropolitan Meat Market of Monday a large supply of beef and mutton failed to weaken business; on the contrary, trade was described in the market circulars as "improved all round."

Source: The Graphic, Saturday April 28, 1888; Issue 961

Smithfield Meat Market

Mr. Charles Absolon, the veteran cricketer, hale and hearty, the pride of Smithfield Meat Market, kept his seventy-seventh birthday on May 30. Truly wonderful has been his cricketing career. "Old Charley," as he is familiarly called, played fifty-four matches last season, and scored over 500 runs.

Source: The Penny Illustrated Paper, Saturday June 09, 1894; Page 358; Issue 1724
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market Empty Metropolitan And Smithfields Markets

Post by Karen Sat 13 Mar 2010 - 0:14

"Flea" Market in the Metropolitan Cattle Market, London, 1903.

Illustration showing the "flea" market, taking place on a Friday afternoon in the Metropolitan Cattle Market, London, 1903.

[img]PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market Metrop10[/img]

This is the Metropolitan Market where George Henry Hutt worked.

Publication: The Graphic
Artist: J. Barnard Davis
Date: 26 December 1903

Cattle Sale At Smithfields Market.

A prospective buyer inspecting a cow at Smithfields Market.

[img]PC Hutt And The Metropolitan Meat Market Smithf10[/img]

This photo shows that cattle was also sold at Smithfields Market.

Publication: The Graphic
Artist: Unknown
Date: 1896
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down