Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Backert's Letter From Jack I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Backert's Letter From Jack I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Backert's Letter From Jack I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Backert's Letter From Jack I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Backert's Letter From Jack I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Backert's Letter From Jack I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Backert's Letter From Jack I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Backert's Letter From Jack I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Backert's Letter From Jack I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Backert's Letter From Jack I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 18 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 18 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Backert's Letter From Jack

Go down

Backert's Letter From Jack Empty Backert's Letter From Jack

Post by Karen Mon 12 Apr 2010 - 21:32

As is known Mr. Backert, Chairman of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee, received three weeks ago a postcard signed Jack the Ripper, on which a new murder was announced by 18th October. On 27th October Mr Backert received a communication by the same hand, which Jack said that there had been too many police agents in the streets, and that he therefore could not work, but the next thing time he would operate indoors. Dr. Winslow got such a letter, in which Jack said, he would alter his activity to another part of town, and perhaps even before Christmas would paya vistit to Dr. Winslow himself. The manuscript though somewhat distortedly, is similar to that of a few pages that the mysterious stranger left behind in one of his previous homes.

Source: Leydse Courant, 05/11/1889, Page 4
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Backert's Letter From Jack Empty An 1892 JTR Letter

Post by Karen Sun 24 Oct 2010 - 23:59

"JACK THE RIPPER." - Albert Bachert, who stated that he was the chairman of the Whitechapel Murder Vigilance committee, was amongst the applicants at the Thames police-court yesterday for advice. He said the committee was formed some years ago for the purpose of discovering the author of the Whitechapel murders. A few weeks since he received a letter, signed "Jack the Ripper," stating he would shortly commence operations again. In consequence, he and some friends went out on the watch during the recent foggy weather. During "their adventure" they found a number of men and women sleeping in the streets. He wanted to know whether he could call the attention of the police to these people, and so have them removed to workhouses or shelters? Mr. Dickinson told the applicant, who had not made his first appearance at that court, that he knew very well that the matter was nothing to do with him, and that he could not advise in cases of that sort. He would have to go to the inspector of police or the proper authority about such a matter.

CROYDON PETTY SESSIONS.

ALLEGED CRIMINAL ASSAULT. - James Parsonson, a well-dressed, middle-aged man, living in Southbridge-road, Croydon, was charged with criminally assaulting Rose Sylvester, a girl under the age of 16, at Bramley-hill, Croydon, on the 30th ult. - The complainant, a modest-looking girl of 15, stated that she was a servant in the employ of Captain Boynton, at 3, Nottingham-road, Croydon. On Wednesday night she had been to post some letters and was returning when the prisoner suddenly sprang upon her and committed the assault. He had previously asked her to walk out with him, but she ran away. It was stated that the defence would be an alibi. - A remand was granted, the Bench offering to accept bail in the sum of 80 pounds.

CHILD MURDER.

Yesterday Dr. Danford Thomas held an inquest at the Coroner's court, Holloway-road, on the body of a female child found on Thursday in Northampton-park by William Easton, a plumber, of Stoke Newington-road. It was wrapped up in calico, and was then taken to the station by Police-constable 143 J, who subsequently had the body examined by Dr. Jackman. He found marks of violence on the head and face. He told the court that the cause of the death was suffocation by deliberate pressure. The jury returned a verdict of "Wilful murder against some person at present unknown."

Source: Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper, January 3, 1892, Page 10
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down