Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Jack The Pinata I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Jack The Pinata I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Jack The Pinata I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Jack The Pinata I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Jack The Pinata I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Jack The Pinata I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Jack The Pinata I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Jack The Pinata I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Jack The Pinata I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Jack The Pinata I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Jack The Pinata

Go down

Jack The Pinata Empty Jack The Pinata

Post by Karen Tue 21 Sep 2010 - 23:44

BROOKLYN BOYS AND JACK THE RIPPER.

The Dread Whitechapel Murderer Hung in Effigy on De Kalb Avenue.

If by any combination of circumstances the chief of police of London, Inspector Byrnes of New York and the dread Jack the Ripper could have been standing at the corner of De Kalb avenue and Debevoise place for about half an hour yesterday morning, they would have been impressed with the opinion that the boys of that neighborhood have heard of them. The boys had, no doubt, read the account of the ripper's thirteenth victim, and had made up their minds to show just what they would do should that worthy appear in Brooklyn. So Saturday night they borrowed a nondescript suit of clothes and with some old paper rigged up an effigy which for fierceness and dirt went way head of anything that Whitechapel could produce. This effigy made its appearance first on Willoughby street, but by some medium found its way to DeKalb avenue on Sunday morning. It was hung to a convenient telegraph pole and suspended from its neck was a placard inscribed "Jack the Ripper." At the back was another card marked "Inspector Byrnes." It was in full view of the worshipers of the Catholic church of our Lady of Mercy as they came out of church. They were greeted to an exhibition of antics on the part of the boys which rivaled anything on or off the stage. About fifty of them surrounded the figure and shouted derisively.
The whole neighborhood was in an uproar, the residents being convulsed with the comical aspect of the figure and the motions through which it was put. Finally Sergeant Mather of the First precinct appeared, and in two minutes the only thing remaining of the effigy was a pile of waste paper in the middle of the street.

Source: Brooklyn Eagle, August 10, 1891, Page 4
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down