Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Bond Joins the Royal Hunt I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Bond Joins the Royal Hunt I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Bond Joins the Royal Hunt I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Bond Joins the Royal Hunt I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Bond Joins the Royal Hunt I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Bond Joins the Royal Hunt I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Bond Joins the Royal Hunt I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Bond Joins the Royal Hunt I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Bond Joins the Royal Hunt I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Bond Joins the Royal Hunt I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Bond Joins the Royal Hunt

Go down

Bond Joins the Royal Hunt Empty Bond Joins the Royal Hunt

Post by Karen Sun 30 Jan 2011 - 15:32

The following article from 1877, lists Dr. Bond among the members of the Royal Hunt, and while doing so, fell with his horse, yet sustained no serious injury. It is interesting to know information such as this when one should consider his attendance at Miller's Court on Nov. 9, and the fact that he would certainly be able to ascertain whether Kelly's body was "dressed" as a deer's would be after such a hunt. Then couple that with having as jury member, Mr. John Harvey, the new Royal huntsman, and you have quite a startling chain of evidence.

HER MAJESTY'S STAGHOUNDS.

MR. EDITOR: I must give you an account of an exceptional day for the Forest, which, as you know, is generally marked by "toujours Forest." The meet on Friday week was at East-hampstead Park, where the Marchioness of Downshire (assisted by the agreeable and popular Lord Arthur Hill) entertained members of the hunt; after which "The Duchess" was uncarted within the park, and at first boded a close country line, but her ladyship soon tacked round, and ran for the firs, and was taken within the hour, near Wellington College. The hounds were then trotted back to Lady Downshire's park again, and Little Lady was released, and went gallantly away towards Wokingham, then right-handed to the town of Bracknell, then to the left (before reaching the houses) for Warfield, Winkfield, passing close to Foligoham Park; on to Winkfield Plain and New Lodge; thence to Byfield, and was taken at Surley Hill in about two hours, all delighted with the day, it being over as stiff a country as the most zealous needed.
On Tuesday, as the morning looked propitious, and from rumours afloat, it was expected that Lord Hardwicke would again appear in the field, and there was a hope Lord Cork would show his popular self with his old pack; but disappointment reigned. There appeared, however, another personage whom all delight to welcome in the hunting field, His Royal Highness Prince Christian, who drove up to Farnham in time to be one of the guests of Captain Johns, who had provided ample luncheon for all his friends. After the refreshment Goodall took the hounds off to the Old Yew Tree, where a good deer was released, and went away for Hedgerley and Chalfont, through Mr. Hibbert's Park, and then pointed for Amersham, but was headed, and came back to the Park, and then went away for Rickmansworth. The rain came down with all vehemence, and every one was soaked through to the bone (if possible), but that stayed not His Royal Highness nor Miss Arden, and another well-mounted young lady. So effectual was the wet that my own buckskins assumed the appearance of tripe. Prince Christian's horse came down with him at a crumbling bank, but the noble rider was in the saddle again with the rapidity and elasticity of a boy, and did not even lose his forward place in the field. The deer was taken at Harefield. I am sorry to say that towards the end of the run one of the hunt met with a serious accident. The sufferer is an aged party, but a very old rider, and is well-known as Mr. Walker of Slough. Mr. Goodall rode over to see him on Thursday, and found him (Mr. Walker) in a very precarious state.
His royal highness, accompanied by Lord Charles Beresford and Sir Deighton Probyn, joined the Queen's Hounds yesterday for the first time this season. The party did not arrive in time for the "special," but railed down from Paddington by the 10:30 at Maidenhead. The char a banc and four met the royal party, and took them to the meet at Shottesbrook Park. After a glass of liqueur the deer "Rose of Forest" was uncarted close to Capt. Robson's park, and after a time went away to Binfield, Bracknell, Warkfield, Hawthorne Hill, &c. The prince rode his Indian horse Cockney, and right well he went thro' the dirt, and awfully heavy the country rode. I am glad to be able to report that Mr. Walker is better. There were several falls again today, Lord Beresford amongst the number. Dr. Bond was another whose horse fell with him, but no harm resulted to any. -

Yours, &c. NEMO.

Source: Bell's Life in London, Saturday February 17, 1877, Page 11
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down