Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Detective Baxter Hunt I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Detective Baxter Hunt I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Detective Baxter Hunt I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Detective Baxter Hunt I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Detective Baxter Hunt I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Detective Baxter Hunt I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Detective Baxter Hunt I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Detective Baxter Hunt I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Detective Baxter Hunt I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Detective Baxter Hunt I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Detective Baxter Hunt

Go down

Detective Baxter Hunt Empty Detective Baxter Hunt

Post by Karen Wed 23 May 2012 - 18:08

THE ATTEMPT TO HOLD A MEETING AT ST. PAUL'S.

At the Mansion House justice room on Monday Walter Power, 28, of Hare-street, Spitalfields, was charged, before Alderman Sir Reginald Hanson, with offending against certain by-laws and regulations, by attempting to address a crowd from the steps of St. Paul's cathedral, on Saturday afternoon.
Detective Davidson said that he saw the defendant on the steps near to the western entrance. There was a crowd before him, and he attempted to address them. He had just said, "Friends and fellow-workers," when witness, taking hold of the sleeve of his coat, told him that he could not be allowed to speak there. He replied, "Take your hands off me," and promised to go away if he was released. Then he said, during a struggle, "You are pinching me; don't use violence." Detective Hunt and other officers came up, and he was taken to the station at Bridewell. As they passed down Ludgate-hill Power called to his followers to pass a resolution condemning the brutal treatment of the City police, and he added, "You see what they are doing to me now." A man close by produced a canvas bag containing a red flag.
Defendant said that he asked the crowd to pass a resolution in favour of municipal workshops and organisations, so that the huge army of unemployed and unskilled labour might work in the land which was in the occupation of the few.
The Alderman: We have nothing to do with municipal workshops. Keep yourself to the charge.
Witness, in reply to a question, said that he had heard the defendant speak in a very violent manner, and he considered there might be disorder if he was allowed to proceed.
Detective-serjeant Hunt gave corroborative evidence, and Mr. R.S. Russell, of the office of the City solicitor, produced the by-laws for the management of St. Paul's-churchyard. The penalty for infringing any of those laws was 5 pounds.
Superintendent Foster said that five copies of the by-laws and regulations were posted about the edifice and in the graveyard. He saw the defendant in custody at the station, and pointed out the by-laws to him. On Saturday week Power attempted to hold a meeting in front of the Royal exchange, and on that occasion he was served with a notice, and was removed from the steps by the police. Then he said, "Let me go to Tower-hill." Witness remarked, "Very well; go to Tower-hill." He was carrying beneath his coat a small flag attached to a stick. Witness saw him afterwards on Tower-hill, and then he told him that the Chief commissioner would not allow any meeting to be held in any part of the City. On the following Tuesday he again saw him in Smithfield, and he was then addressing his followers. He handed him a notice, and then Power said he would go to Finsbury, outside of the City. He pulled out a red flag, and he and his followers marched in that direction.
Mr. Douglas, the chief clerk: Is anything known of this man?
Constable Lavers said that in January, 1887, the defendant was charged at that court with addressing a crowd in St. Paul's-churchyard, but he was discharged on promising not to offend again.
Constable Bowles, of the G division, deposed that in November, 1888, at the Clerkenwell police-court, the defendant was ordered to find two sureties in 20 pounds to keep the peace for six months for riotous and disorderly conduct.
The Alderman: There is no doubt that you acted illegally on Saturday; still, I do not want to deal harshly with you, and if you will engage not to attempt to do so again, justice will be met by my binding you over in your own recognisance in 10 pounds to keep the peace for six months.
Defendant: Shall I be allowed to form a delegation at any time? Suppose I wanted to wait on your worship, no doubt you would not object to see me. I'm not a violent character.
The Alderman: I don't want to see you here again. As for my receiving a delegation, that's another matter altogether.
Defendant: Can't you make it six weeks; that will be better than six months?
The Alderman: No; six months is the time, and if you offend again you will have a severe fine or imprisonment; so that you know your position.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper, October 19, 1890, Page 2
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Detective Baxter Hunt Empty Re: Detective Baxter Hunt

Post by Karen Wed 23 May 2012 - 18:35

STEALING AND RECEIVING DRUGS.

James Miles, 37, warehouseman, and Frederick Anderson, 33, packer, were indicted at the Central Criminal Court, for stealing diverse drugs, the property of Messrs. Barclay and Co., Farringdon-street; also Miles was indicted for feloniously receiving the property. Mr. Gill prosecuted (instructed by Mr. St. John Wontner), and Mr. Besley (instructed by Mr. Chapman) defended. It appeared from the evidence that Detective Hunt was watching the premises of the prosecutors between eight and nine o'clock on the morning of June 10th, when he saw Miles at the top of Fleet-lane in the Old Bailey. Three minutes later he perceived that he had obtained from somewhere a box, and stopping him, he discovered that it contained two dozen bottles of Eno's Fruit salt, which he said had been given him to carry by the prisoner Anderson, who had paid him for doing so. The officer detained Miles, and going to the prosecutors', arrested Anderson, charging him with stealing the property. At first he said there was someone else in the matter, but then denied it. At the lodgings of the prisoner Miles was found two similar boxes of the same salt, with 3 pounds 6s., and upon asking Miles to explain how he became possessed of them, he said they came the same way as the other box, through Anderson. From the evidence of a witness named Arthur Key Matthews, who had been in the habit of passing the prosecutor's premises several times daily, it seemed that he had noticed Anderson early in the morning carrying mats out to shake. Among the mats and rolled up in one of them, he had seen a box, which was carried away by the prisoner Miles. Since the 1st of May he had seen Miles carry away eighteen or twenty of those boxes. Mr. E.M.S. Wright, one of the partners in the firm of Messrs. Barclay and Co., deposed that they had large quantities of Eno's Salt in stock, which the prisoner Anderson would have access to, but he could not identify the particular bottles produced. The jury found the prisoners, who were committed from Guildhall, and Mr. Commissioner Kerr sentenced them to 12 months' hard labour each.

Source: The Clerkenwell Press, Saturday August 16, 1879, Page 3
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Wed 23 May 2012 - 18:53

EXTENSIVE ROBBERIES AT ST. BARTHOLOMEW'S HOSPITAL.

At Guildhall today Frederick George Harris, alias Charles Williams, a waiter, who had no fixed abode, was charged on remand before Sir Charles Whetham, with stealing a quantity of wearing apparel from various medical students at St. Bartholomew's Hospital. - Mr. Walter Beard (Beard and Sons) prosecuted, by direction of the Governors of the Hospital. - It appeared from the evidence that in July last the prisoner was engaged as a waiter by the caterer at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, and that, taking advantage of his position, he took coats, trousers, shirts, boots, socks, and other articles, and in one instance a whole suit of clothes. Prisoner was detected while he was at the hospital, but he left there, and was apprehended on the charge of stealing a gold watch and chain. He was convicted, and sentenced to two months' imprisonment in Gloucester Gaol, and, on his discharge on the 18th inst., he was apprehended by Detective Baxter Hunt as he was leaving the prison. Several pawnbrokers now produced the stolen property, which was identified by the owners. - The prisoner pleaded guilty, and asked to have the case settled there. - Sir Charles Whetham asked if there was anything known of the prisoner. - Mr. Walter Beard said that Baxter Hunt apprehended him on his discharge from Gloucester Gaol, and he would be taken into custody on his discharge from prison for an offence charged against him at Bournemouth, and after that he would be taken to Bristol on another charge. The prisoner's late employer came forward, and said that when he engaged him he had a good character with him, and during seven months that he had been in witness's employ he had justified his character, and had given no cause for mistrusting him. - Sir Charles Whetham sentenced him to six months' imprisonment with hard labour.

Source: The Echo, Thursday December 23, 1880, Page 4
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Thu 24 May 2012 - 13:19

LAMBETH.
COMMITTAL OF ALLEGED BURGLARS. - Robert Rogers, 27, alias Robert Dowthwaite, giving an address in St. James's-road, Bermondsey, was charged with having housebreaking implements in his possession for the purpose of committing a felony. He was further charged with being concerned with Alfred Bailey, now brought up on remand, with breaking and entering the dwelling-house of William Porter in the Old Kent-road, and stealing therein several articles of wearing apparel and 8 pounds in money. The house of the prosecutor was left unprotected, and the two prisoners were alleged to have been seen loitering about the door and were seen to enter. They afterwards ran out, but were pursued. Bailey was the only one captured at the time, a portion of a scent-bottle, identified by the prosecutor, being found upon him. The house, it was found, had been ransacked from top to bottom, and a quantity of property packed up ready for removal. It was stated that Detective-Inspectors Hunt and Chamberlain took the matter in hand, and on Sunday night, in conjunction with Detectives Reid, Holme, and Berry, proceeded to a house in St. James's-road, Bermondsey, where it was ascertained Rogers was lodging. After waiting quietly until about a quarter past two o'clock in the morning, they heard the street door opened, and Rogers stepped into the passage. He evidently felt very much surprised at finding himself seized by Inspector Chamberlain and surrounded by the other officers. He was searched, and in the pocket of his coat, a "jemmy," some matches, and a piece of candle were found. When told the charge he made no reply. - Mr. Chance committed the prisoners for trial.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper, September 29, 1878, Page 4
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down