Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Ripper Reminiscences I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Ripper Reminiscences I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Ripper Reminiscences I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Ripper Reminiscences I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Ripper Reminiscences I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Ripper Reminiscences I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Ripper Reminiscences I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Ripper Reminiscences I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Ripper Reminiscences I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Ripper Reminiscences I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Ripper Reminiscences

Go down

Ripper Reminiscences Empty Ripper Reminiscences

Post by Karen Sun 28 Feb 2010 - 16:47

JACK THE RIPPER

A phase of the famous Jack the Ripper case as presented in the reminiscences of Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Henry Smith, late Commissioner of Police for the City of London. Sir Henry does not believe the stories that have been told lately regarding the discovery of the identity of the famous murderer. He has no more idea now who the culprit was than he had twenty years ago. One clue that might have been very valuable was lost owing to the rather stupid act of a man high in authority. A woman had been murdered in the usual brutish fashion and a piece of her apron was missing. One of the detectives who were dealing with the case was scouring Whitechapel, and in a main street he found a constable of the Metropolitan Police looking at important fragment of cloth. It was lying, folded up, in the door of one of the Peabody model dwellings, and on the woodwork, written in chalk were the words: "The Jews are the men that won't be blamed for anything." The find seemed to show that the murderer had passed that way, and the hand-writing might have assisted the police to trace his identity. A constable was left to guard the door while arrangements were made for photographing the inscription, but before the camera had been secured a high officer from headquarters arrived and promptly ordered that the chalk marks should be obliterated. He feared that riots against the Jews might be caused, and at the touch of a handkerchief the clue disappeared. On another occasion Sir Henry got into communication with a man who indicated that he could give some information in regard to the murders, but the individual failed to keep a second appointment and could not be traced. Even at this late period it would give the old Police Commissioner pleasure to touch Jack the Ripper upon the shoulder.

Source: Grey River Argus, 24 November 1910, Page 2
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down