Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Obituary of Mr. Troutbeck I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Obituary of Mr. Troutbeck I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Obituary of Mr. Troutbeck I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Obituary of Mr. Troutbeck I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Obituary of Mr. Troutbeck I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Obituary of Mr. Troutbeck I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Obituary of Mr. Troutbeck I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Obituary of Mr. Troutbeck I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Obituary of Mr. Troutbeck I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Obituary of Mr. Troutbeck I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests :: 3 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Obituary of Mr. Troutbeck

Go down

Obituary of Mr. Troutbeck Empty Obituary of Mr. Troutbeck

Post by Karen Tue 19 Jul 2011 - 7:58

MR. JOHN TROUTBECK.
WELL-KNOWN CORONER PASSES AWAY.

The death occurred on Thursday morning of Mr. John Troutbeck, Coroner for the City of Westminster and South-West London. Mr. Troutbeck appeared to be in his usual health until this week, when he was attacked with symptoms that made an operation imperative. This was successfully performed on Tuesday, but a relapse occurred on the following day, and he eventually passed away as stated.
Mr. Troutbeck, who was a son of the late Canon Troutbeck, was born at Dacre in 1860, and was educated at Westminster School and Queen's College, Oxford. He was admitted a solicitor in 1884, and in 1888 was appointed Coroner for Westminster, and succeeded the late Mr. Hicks as Coroner for South-West London in 1902. As deputy high bailiff for Westminster Mr. Troutbeck investigated nearly the whole of the compensation cases in connection with the Strand improvement. He leaves a widow and three children (two sons and a daughter). One of the deceased coroner's chief hobbies was music, and he played the viola in the Westminster Abbey orchestra at the Coronations of King Edward VII, and King George.
When appointed to the South-Western district Mr. Troutbeck came into sharp conflict with the medical profession on the subject of independent post-mortem examinations. His employment of a pathologist to the exclusion of the patients' medical advisers gave umbrage to members of the British Medical Association, who were instrumental in obtaining an inquiry held by Mr. Cockerton at Spring Gardens. Mr. Troutbeck's procedure was, however, upheld. On two occasions, when persons of title had committed suicide, and the cases having been omitted from the coroner's list, and inquiries held without any reporters being present. Mr. Troutbeck was somewhat severely criticised. In one instance the subject was raised in Parliament, when Sir William Harcourt, Home Secretary, defended the action of the coroner.

Source: The Shoreditch Observer, Hackney Express, Bethnal Green Chronicle and Finsbury Gazette, March 2, 1912
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down