Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Other Events in Goulston Street I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Other Events in Goulston Street I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Other Events in Goulston Street I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Other Events in Goulston Street I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Other Events in Goulston Street I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Other Events in Goulston Street I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Other Events in Goulston Street I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Other Events in Goulston Street I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Other Events in Goulston Street I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Other Events in Goulston Street I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Other Events in Goulston Street

Go down

Other Events in Goulston Street Empty Other Events in Goulston Street

Post by Karen Sun 4 Sep 2011 - 20:34

ILLICIT STILL RAID.
DETECTIVES SWOOP DOWN ON A JEWISH HOUSEHOLD.

An important seizure of an illicit still and its adjuncts was made in the East-end of London yesterday by detectives of the Inland Revenue.
For some time past a close watch has been kept on the house, 30, Goulston-street, a thoroughfare which runs parallel to "Petticoat-lane," now Middlesex-street, and the police spent the early part of yesterday in awaiting an opportunity to make a coup.
Acting on information they received, Chief Detective-inspector Llewhellen, Detectives Mitchell and Cope, Detective-sergeants Whitbread and Gill, of the H division, and a number of constables eventually surrounded the house, the whole force being so distributed as to guard every exit.
The scene of the still was the basement, which was in the name of a couple named Weinstein, and when everything was in readiness Chief Inspector Llewhellin and Detectives Mitchell and Cope made their way thither,

DOWN A TORTUOUS FLIGHT OF STEPS.

The door of the basement room was locked, but this was a small difficulty. Detective Mitchell, who was armed with a jemmy, very quickly forced an entrance.
Two men and a woman, evidently Jews, were in the room. An illicit still had been fitted up near the fireplace, and was hard at work.
Boxes of sugar to the weight of some 5cwt. were also discovered, and barley and oats were lying about in all directions. There were some 500 gallons of wash in a state of fermentation in barrels, and about thirty gallons of whiskey ready for consumption, while on a shelf stood numerous empty bottles.
The occupants were taken into custody, and brought to Commercial-street Police-station, where they were formally charged, preparatory to appearing at Worship-street Police-court today.

Source: Daily Mail, Thursday August 24, 1899, Page 3
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Other Events in Goulston Street Empty Re: Other Events in Goulston Street

Post by Karen Mon 5 Sep 2011 - 22:22

Here's an interesting find: Apparently, there was a Freemason's Arms in Goulston Street. Could this be where Jack went to hide after killing Catherine Eddowes? The Freemasons would certainly shield one of their own:

[img]Other Events in Goulston Street Goulst10[/img]

Source: Commercial Gazette, Thursday January 4, 1877, Page 4

Last edited by Karen on Wed 7 Sep 2011 - 0:57; edited 1 time in total
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Mon 5 Sep 2011 - 22:43

TWO JEWS AND A SOLDIER.

Joseph Samuels, 40, and Benjamin Harris, 61 years of age, were charged, the first-mentioned prisoner with unlawfully enticing and assisting a soldier belonging to her Majesty's Royal Horse Artillery to dispose of portions of his uniform, and the other prisoner with unlawfully buying the same.
It was shown that James Wainwright, a gunner in the Royal Artillery stationed at Woolwich, left that place a few days since in full uniform, the cloak and cape being quite new. He came to London without leave, and while passing along Whitechapel picked up and passed the evening with a young man whom he had never seen before. Neither of them had a lodging, and consequently slept down some yard in the neighbourhood, the soldier making himself pretty comfortable under the circumstances, with his martial cloak around him. The following morning he was introduced to Samuels, as asserted, who inquired whether he was willing to dispose of any of his clothing, and, on replying in the affirmative, he was forthwith taken to Harris's, where some beer was sent for, and a dealing made. The soldier offered to take 15s. for his cloak and cape. This was refused, and he left the place, but shortly afterwards returned, and accepted 8s. for the same, although the actual worth was 3 pounds 2s. 6d. The transaction occurred so early in the day that Harris was in bed, and had to light the gas at the commencement of it. Subsequently the foolish fellow disposed somewhere of the rest of his uniform in exchange, and afterwards presented himself at the Tower and reported what he had done. Doughton, 87 F, was intrusted with the matter, and, from inquiries, understood that the prisoners, who are both what is termed general dealers - Harris, in Goulston-street, Whitechapel, and Samuels, in Dorset-street, Spitalfields - were the persons concerned as described in the purchase of the cloak and cape.
Mr. Barnard contended that the soldier was mistaken in the identity of the accused, and called witnesses as to character, who spoke of them as most fair dealers in their business. Both remanded.

Source: Illustrated Times, November 19, 1864, Page 335
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Wed 7 Sep 2011 - 0:55

Letters to the Editor.
MEDICAL AID TO JEWISH POOR.

SIR, - Will you kindly grant me a little space to remove some serious misapprehension to which the letter of Mr. J. Gowler in your last issue must have given rise.
There is no medical department of the Jewish Board of Guardians, neither have the Board any medical officers. For reasons deemed to be sufficient, but which it is unnecessary here to narrate, the medical department was abolished some years ago. The Jewish poor have no excuse for resorting to the missionary dispensary in Goulston Street. The parochial relieving officers show the utmost kindness to the Jewish patients, and the parochial dispensary is free to them. Moreover, at the Eastern Dispensary of the German Hospital, situate in Leman Street, the Jewish poor can receive free advice and orders for medicine to be supplied to them free at a neighbouring chemist's; and at this dispensary no letters of recommendation are required for the cases of foreigners.

Yours obediently, LIONEL L. ALEXANDER.
13, Devonshire Square, Bishopsgate, March 17, 1890

Source: The Jewish Standard, March 21, 1890, Page 9
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 10:46

CABLE FLASHES.

Wednesday evening the body of a boy of 4 years, who had been murdered, was found tied to the railings in front of a house in Goulston street, in a low quarter of Whitechapel. The boy's throat was cut and there were numerous gashes on the body.

Source: The Marshfield Times, Marshfield, Wood County, Wisconsin, Friday June 17, 1892
Karen
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down