Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Nobles Involved In Scandal I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Nobles Involved In Scandal I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Nobles Involved In Scandal I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Nobles Involved In Scandal I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Nobles Involved In Scandal I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Nobles Involved In Scandal I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Nobles Involved In Scandal I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Nobles Involved In Scandal I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Nobles Involved In Scandal I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Nobles Involved In Scandal I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Nobles Involved In Scandal

Go down

Nobles Involved In Scandal Empty Nobles Involved In Scandal

Post by Karen Tue 2 Mar 2010 - 18:19

ANOTHER LONDON SCANDAL.
(SPECIAL TO THE SYDNEY EVENING NEWS.)
LONDON, MARCH 2.

Louisa Hart, a wealthy procuress, has been charged with having decoyed children for the purpose of prostitution. The details of the case are reported to be horrible and disgusting. It is rumored that certain noble debauchees are implicated in the affair.

Source: Marlborough Express, Volume XXII, Issue 64, 18 March 1886, Page 2

THE WEST END SCANDAL.

THE CHARGE AGAINST LORD ARTHUR SOMERSET.

UNITED PRESS ASSOCIATION.
(Received March 10, 12:15 p.m.)

LONDON, 9th March.

Colonel Montagu, of the Horse Guards, states that Sir Dighton Probyn told him, after his interview with Lord Salisbury, that it was intended to issue a warrant against Lord Arthur Somerset. Colonel Montagu was horrified at such a fearful accusation against an officer of his regiment, and a personal friend of his own went to Lord Arthur, and advised him if he was innocent to boldly face a trial, otherwise he had better blow out his brains at once. Lord Arthur Somerset left him, promising to return, but after waiting an hour Colonel Montagu found he had absconded. Mr. Labouchere received the facts from the Prince of Wales through Sir Francis Knollys.

Source: Evening Post, Volume XXXIX, Issue 57, 10 March 1890, Page 2

The London Scandal.

The editor of the North London Press (Mr. Parke), who has been proceeded against by the Earl of Euston for alleged libel in regard to the London scandal, is an insignificant individual, but the Radical element, headed by Mr. Labouchere, together with many Conservatives, who are determined to push this investigation, have secured for him the best legal advice in London. The New York World's London correspondent cables as follows: - "1st December. Concerning this scandal, I have seen a deposition made by persons who frequented the house for the purpose of crime, and who give the name of the aristocratic clientele whom they regularly met there. These persons selected the photographs of Lord Arthur Somerset and the Earl of Euston from others submitted to them, and made most fearful revelations concerning these noblemen. Charles Hammond, who is supposed to be in possession of most infamous secrets regarding the British nobility respecting the scandal, and who fled from England, has been recognized on Christopher-street, New York. He came on the steamer Pennula on 19th October, and has been living in New York under the names of Bolton and Stuik.

Source: Wanganui Herald, Volume XXIV, Issue 7003, 11 January 1890, Page 4

Point to consider: I wonder whether these photographs of the Earl of Euston and Lord Arthur Somerset entering and exiting Cleveland Street still exist, and if we could someday see them for ourselves.

THE WEST END SCANDALS.
DEBATE IN THE HOUSE OF COMMONS.

MR. LABOUCHERE SUSPENDED.

London, Feb. 28.

In the House of Commons yesterday, Mr. Labouchere drew attention to the action of the Government with reference to the West End scandals. He said that Mr. Monro, Chief Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, had urged the arrest of the man Hammond and that the Home Secretary had refused to sanction the step. Lord Salisbury, he declared, had directly advised Lord Arthur Somerset to abscond, and when Lord Arthur attended a funeral after the discovery of the scandals, and the police authorities urged that he should be arrested. Mr. Mathews refused to allow the arrest. He denied the rumors that Prince Albert Victor had in anyway been mixed up in the scandals, and he demanded the appointment of a Special Committee to investigate the whole matter. Lord Salisbury, he declared, was guilty of criminal conspiracy.

The Attorney General, Sir Richard Webster, traversed Mr. Labouchere's statements in every particular.

London, March 1.

In answering Mr. Labouchere's accusations against the Government for their action in regard to the West End scandals, Sir Richard Webster denied that Lord Salisbury knew that Lord Arthur Somerset was accused of being implicated in them, until he had fled the country. To this Mr. Labouchere replied that he did not believe Lord Salisbury's protestations of innocence, and on his refusing to withdraw his words, he was suspended for a week.

Mr. Morley admitted that Sir Richard Webster had succeeded in dissipating many of the disagreeable rumors that had been current regarding the scandals.

Finally the debate was closed by the application of the closure, the amendment to reduce supply being negatived by 206 votes to 66.

Source: The West Australian, Monday 3 March 1890

THE LONDON SCANDALS.

A SOLICITOR IN TROUBLE.

[UNITED PRESS ASSOCIATION]

London May, 17.

Mr. Newton, solicitor, has pleaded guilty to a charge of being concerned in a conspiracy to defeat the ends of justice by inducing witnesses against those connected with the Cleveland Street Scandal to quit the country. Sentence has been deferred.

Source: Marlborough Express, Volume XXVI, Issue 114, 19 May 1890, Page 2

Newton’s Imprisonment.

(By Electric Telegraph – Copyright.)

(Per United Press Association.)

London, May 20. – Newton, the solicitor who pleaded guilty to a charge of being concerned in a conspiracy to defeat the ends of justice by inducing witnesses against those connected with the Cleveland Street Scandal to quit the country, has been sentenced to six weeks’ imprisonment.

Source: Wanganui Herald, Volume XXIV, Issue 7107, 21 May 1890, Page 2
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down