Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
The Murder of Edgar Allan Poe - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
The Murder of Edgar Allan Poe - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
The Murder of Edgar Allan Poe - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
The Murder of Edgar Allan Poe - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
The Murder of Edgar Allan Poe - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
The Murder of Edgar Allan Poe - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
The Murder of Edgar Allan Poe - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
The Murder of Edgar Allan Poe - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
The Murder of Edgar Allan Poe - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
The Murder of Edgar Allan Poe - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

The Murder of Edgar Allan Poe

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Murder of Edgar Allan Poe - Page 2 Empty Re: The Murder of Edgar Allan Poe

Post by Guest Mon 19 Oct 2020 - 19:16

I agree because in the end a prostitute actually runs in the same circles or at least attempts to. 

But the mainstream of the Kennedy assassination, which embraces the conspiracy theory, can't believe that he could be killed by a lone gunman who was a relatively common man. And the mainstream of the Whitechapel Murders, which doesn't embrace the respective conspiracy theory, can't believe that these women/prostitutes could be killed by a high class pillar of society....

Although with a perception of prostitutes as common street people, Poe's like-on-like violence theory might suggest that the mainstream is correct.

There are many ways to look at it but these prejudicial profiles are definitely based on a false bias against the victim. There's no way to come to a right answer on that basis. You can't profile while denigrating a victim but I don't think it's necessarily a denigration on everyone's part when they label the victim a prostitute. 

Here's another one in the same vein:

If a woman gets killed by her husband and no one knows anything about him, and there's no evidence at all pointing to his identity, is there any way you can guess a possible profile of the man based solely on victimology of the wife? 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 2 Nov 2020 - 15:08

That last question surprisingly stumps a lot of people even though it's a quintessential example of "William Wilson Effect". They can't seem to figure out how to profile an unknown spouse without documentation or witnesses but only by common sense.

As for the Murder of Poe, one man said his last words included "self murderer, there is a gulf beyond the stream" but he seemed to have a temperance agenda. Death by elections, cooping and rabid rats seems more likely. The cooping or election gangs worked for the political candidates so it's not like there's no William Wilson Effect here either. 

Another example of this effect would be shown in the Oedipus story where he kills his father and marries his mother unknowingly. I think it has more to do with William Wilson Effect than childhood psychosexual development. Maybe more on that later....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 3 Nov 2020 - 19:35

Oedipus himself doesn't really fit psychoanalytic theory the way he's supposed to. In the original story, he doesn't even recognize the idea of "father" or "mother" and overcomes the dominant "feminine" aka the Sphinx by solving the riddle of the Sphinx or the riddle of "what is a man". All the other men are in thrall of the Sphinx and/or are killed by it. He kills it and the king, his father, and marries the queen, his mother. So the psycho-sexual thing with Oedipus actually applies to the dominant, not the "degenerate".

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2