Jack the Ripper and Victorian Crime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Son(s) of Sam Cult
Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 22:22 by Guest

» SK Profile and Indicators
Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 15:46 by Guest

» Primacy of Victimology
Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:44 by Guest

» Serial Killer Age Demographics
Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Dec 2021 - 0:06 by Guest

» Freemasons and Human Anatomy
Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick I_icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2021 - 1:12 by Guest

» Son of Jim and Mary?
Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2021 - 19:30 by Guest

» The Maybrick Diary: A New Guide through the Labyrinth
Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick I_icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2021 - 19:28 by Guest

» Doeology v Genealogy
Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick I_icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2021 - 21:46 by Guest

» Given up on George Chapman?
Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov 2021 - 20:15 by Guest

» The Meaning of the Goulston Street Graffiti
Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2021 - 19:10 by Guest

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 15 registered users
The newest registered user is Keith David

Our users have posted a total of 5723 messages in 2445 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 12 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 516 on Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 16:29

Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick

Go down

Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick Empty Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick

Post by Karen Fri 17 Sep 2010 - 2:51

On the morning of November 9, 1888, it is said, that 2 officers of the Royal Irish Constabulary were present in the room. Could this have been for the purpose of ascertaining whether the victim was actually from Limerick City or County? Find below some information regarding the RIC in Limerick.

LIFE IN LIMERICK BEFORE THE CIVIL WAR

THE ROYAL IRISH CONSTABULARY
by P.J. Ryan

The Royal Irish Constabulary held seven barracks in Limerick city. These were located at William Street, John Street, Mary Street, Frederick Street, Edward Street, Mulgrave Street (near the Pike), Caherdavin and at Mill Road, Corbally. On the outskirts of the city, about a mile distant, there were more police barracks. These were located at Cratloe Castle on the Ennis Road, at the crossroads at Castletroy on the Dublin Road, at Dooradoyle on the Cork Road, at the end of Barrack Road, Mungret, and at Clarina. From this it can be seen that the city was held and encircled by a mobile police force, with about 20 men in each barrack. The number of police in the city was over three hundred. In the county and country generally, there was a police barrack within a short distance of every lord's residence.
Recruits to the R.I.C. were selected for their physique. On enlistment recruits swore an oath of allegiance to the reigning monarch and his or her successors. They were then sent to a training department where they were drilled like army recruits in the use of firearms. They were armed successively with each improved form of rifle supplied to the army. They wore a bottle-green uniform with black buttons and black leather belt, holding a baton in a leather case and a pouch with handcuffs. When carrying firearms they also wore a black leather bandolier containing cartridges for their rifle. Every year they spent a fortnight on a training course. When leaving the city for this annual event they marched in military formation with rifles on their shoulders. During their absence other men took their places.
Bicycles were the normal mode of transport, but in an emergency the R.I.C. were empowered to seize any form of transport for their immediate use. In general they were not unpleasant but held themselves aloof and few people wilfuly sought their company. When taking a person under arrest to the nearest barrack they would usually handcuff the prisoner with his hands in front.
In court cases a constable would state, "Acting on information received" etc., without divulging the source of his information. Such a statement was accepted as evidence and could result in the conviction of an accused person. The constable could not be compelled to divulge the source of his information. On conviction a prisoner sentenced to imprisonment was taken to the County Jail in Mulgrave Street in a totally enclosed four-wheeled, horsedrawn prison van.
Every constable was sent to patrol several streets. This was called his beat. By a blast on his police whistle he could, if needed, summon help from a nearby beat. A citizen could also by a blast on a police whistle summon a constable from his beat. Few citizens availed of this privilege, as penalties were imposed for its abuse, or for possessing a police whistle without lawful need.
Every constable was compelled to possess a civilian suit of clothes to enable him to mix undetected among the civilian population and thereby gain information. Their stature and ear-splitting silence, or their authoritative voice if they spoke, always revealed their identity. They were the eyes and the ears of the British Government in Ireland, seeing all, hearing all and putting all in their daily report to their superior officers. Promotion to the rank of sergeant was by a competitive examination, assisted by zealously filled daily reports. The higher ranks such as district inspector, etc., were the perquisite of retired colonels and majors of the British Army.

[img]Royal Irish Constabulary In Limerick Ric10[/img]

Source: "Life in Limerick Before the Civil War: The Royal Irish Constabulary," by P.J. Ryan
Karen
Karen
Admin

https://victorianripper.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down